Author Topic: Unregistered birth in 1883?  (Read 6867 times)

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unregistered birth in 1883?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 13 May 07 09:25 BST (UK) »
There is a mechanism for notifying FREEBMD about such errors and now they have it correct (still doesn't show on electronic index for Ancestry though, I don't know if they update from the same source but both sites had the same error originally).

Ancestry use the FreeBMD data but they don't have the latest additions until some time after they appear in FreeBMD.

Remember, too, that FreeBMD is still a work in progress and although most quarters pre-1910 are virtually complete there are still some which are far from finished; see
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/progress.shtml

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 13 May 07 09:43 BST (UK) »
Jody

I hope so, although you will know if you have been tracing your Wright from London, Wright was a very common name and even though his mother's surname was apparently Da Costa (why? was she not married?) I can't find him.

Liz

Don't know about Portugal or other countries but Spanish women don't change their name on marriage.  Full Spanish names are great for genealogy though as there are two family names, father's followed by mothers so you can see the full previous generation family names immediately.

:)
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 May 07 10:00 BST (UK) »
I have checked the Ancestry pages and Sydney Bird is definitely not there. Also checked Byrd. If he was mistranscribed on his surname, he would also have had to have been missed out or he would have shown up on the FreeBMD indices. There are no Sy(i)dneys with dodgy surnames and if he were missing and mistranscribed on the original index it would have been by the first letter of his surname. That makes him almost impossible to search for on the Ancestry pages. If he was registered under a different surname and missed out then that is a totally impossible search!

Sue
Blunden, Tate, Badslade, Pennicott, Fairbairn (Surrey) Bird (Surrey and Middlesex) Scales, Phillippo, Banham, Franklin (Norfolk) Bond, Miles (Oxfordshire) Webb (Worcestershire) Floyd, Drury (Kent) Clifton, Cane, Tester, Floyd (Sussex)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 May 07 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I also have missing BIRDs - don't forget to try BURT, BIRT, BURD etc!

Good luck!

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 May 07 12:47 BST (UK) »
Don't know about Portugal or other countries but Spanish women don't change their name on marriage.  Full Spanish names are great for genealogy though as there are two family names, father's followed by mothers so you can see the full previous generation family names immediately.

Dudley - So does the female just keep her father's and mother's name and her son would have his father's  name plus his mother's (father's and mother's).  How long do they carry this on before dropping off a few of the surnames?  (Although my g.grandad doesn't seem ever to have used the Da Costa name).

Also, if this is the custom, presumably my g.grandad's mother must have had a longer surname than just Da Costa?  I have looked at Da Costa ricci, Da Costa mendes, Da Costa pereira as options, but I'm sure there must be hundreds more.  It gets more complicated by the minute, but I'm determined to get there eventually.

Liz

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 May 07 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

No unfortunately, they don't keep all the names for ever.  It's still a father's name led society.  Each person has two surnames, the first is the father's first surname (which is the same as his father's first surname (and so on) and the second is the mother's first surname (so that is her father's first surname (etc)).

A married lady can add "de X" to the end where X is her husbands first surname if she particularly needs to denote that she belongs to that family for any reason so she may be called Senora A B de C at a formal gathering.  A is her fathers family, B, her mother's and C her husband's.

Caused a bit of a problem when my daughter got married there as she had to check the spelling of my maiden name and didn't even know my mother's before she could fill in the paperwork but you can see how such an occasion helps to pass on the family history.

addendum: and yes they did require her mother's full name for the paperwork.

add2(oops): it's also the first surname that is most important and used if only one can be, unlike in England.  Senora A B de C, is called Senora A as minimal form.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 May 07 13:48 BST (UK) »

A married lady can add "de X" to the end where X is her husbands first surname if she particularly needs to denote that she belongs to that family for any reason so she may be called Senora A B de C at a formal gathering.  A is her fathers family, B, her mother's and C her husband's.

Thank you - I think I understand!  I'm going to copy your posting and study it more carefully, when I'm not reading the Sunday paper and listening to the radio at the same time.

I'm going to send you a pm, rather than clog up the board with my questions, so hope you don't mind.

Liz

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 May 07 14:00 BST (UK) »
sometimes you can view parish records on line although they are not always complete as the people who put the records online are volunteers
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 13 May 07 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni*
Oh how I wish the parish registers were online but unfortunately the Wandsworth/Lambeth area has nothing. The IGI does cover births up to about 1865 in Clapham but my grandfather was born later. Maybe one day everything will be available online but I might be too old to care by then  ;)

Sue
Blunden, Tate, Badslade, Pennicott, Fairbairn (Surrey) Bird (Surrey and Middlesex) Scales, Phillippo, Banham, Franklin (Norfolk) Bond, Miles (Oxfordshire) Webb (Worcestershire) Floyd, Drury (Kent) Clifton, Cane, Tester, Floyd (Sussex)