Author Topic: Unregistered birth in 1883?  (Read 6863 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Unregistered birth in 1883?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 May 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

At least Clapham and Lambeth are neighbours; one of my unregistered is in Camberwell, the other in Shoreditch!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 May 07 23:53 BST (UK) »
All I've got on one census is London and the other census Middlesex.  How many registry offices is that then?!?

Liz

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 May 07 00:04 BST (UK) »
Can you then have a baptism entry and the birth not be registered  ??? if so how come ???

this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 May 07 00:26 BST (UK) »
I've got that for some of the children of my g.gran's first marriage.  Their baptisms are shown on IGI, but I've never found their births registered.

Liz

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 May 07 00:57 BST (UK) »
I can understand that with early ones but my two are 1882 and 1885.  ::)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 May 07 09:31 BST (UK) »
I spent a long time looking for a birth registration in 1882 - I knew the exact date and place, but even the local record office could find nothing.  I finally discovered that his (single) mother had invented a husband, and registered him under a different name from the one he used all his life....  ::)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 May 07 09:34 BST (UK) »
Can you then have a baptism entry and the birth not be registered  ??? if so how come ???

Why not?

Birth registration is with the civil authorities, baptism with the church; they are completely independent events and there's no duty for either organisation to talk to the other. There is no requirement to be baptised, of course.

Marriage and death are different in that the church, if it's CoE, is automatically licenced to register marriages on behalf of the registration authorities and burials (at least today, I'm not sure how long the system has been in place) cannot be conducted without authority from the registrar.

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 May 07 10:52 BST (UK) »
O.k. thanks,

The reason I asked is that I have looked up several parish baptism records entries, only to find that they an exact copy of the birth certificate.  ???

I have the exact d.o.b date,month and year written in family bible, all the other children check out except these two. No search by local office as exact district is not know just the area.  I am going through all the churches in that area, have about 7 more to check. ::)

I have searched for these two, by married name, maiden name, stepfathers name plus a couple of years eitherside, nothing  ::)

Anyone go any other ideas  ???

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 May 07 13:12 BST (UK) »
Can you then have a baptism entry and the birth not be registered ??? if so how come ???

Obviously some people had a greater fear of God than the civil authorities  ;D

Liz - I don't want to add to your troubles But one census had Susan as born in Middlesex! Must have been filled in by her employer who had no idea where she was born, fortunately I knew that was wrong so I could ignore it.

Sue

Blunden, Tate, Badslade, Pennicott, Fairbairn (Surrey) Bird (Surrey and Middlesex) Scales, Phillippo, Banham, Franklin (Norfolk) Bond, Miles (Oxfordshire) Webb (Worcestershire) Floyd, Drury (Kent) Clifton, Cane, Tester, Floyd (Sussex)