Author Topic: Cannot find a place of birth  (Read 751 times)

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cannot find a place of birth
« on: Friday 11 May 07 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I am having a problem finding out where my GGG grandfather, Richard Johnson, was born. He died in 1836 (before the 1841/51 census) in Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland aged 50. He married in 1814 in Shap to Elizabeth Farrer. The parish records entry says that they were both of this parish, ie Shap. No details of parents given. I can't find Richard's baptism in Shap. I know his wife Elizabeth Farrer was born Warcop from the census & have found her baptism entry.

Richard Johnson was a blacksmith but I cannot find any apprentice records for him which may have given a clue.

The IGI has a batch of 3 Johnsons, William, John and my Richard, married at Shap within 3 years. I thought they could be brothers who arrived in Shap as a family, and maybe one of the others was alive in 1851. One 'brother' John, I can't find at all and the other William was born 1795 Suthernby Cumberland but can't find his baptism!

I have also found a possible Johnson family in the Constable Census Westmorland 1787.  In the village of Hilton there was the Johnson family:
Thomas, master of family, mason
Mary wife, housekeeper
Ann daughter, nurse
Ralph son, schoolboy
Thomas son, Boy
Richard son, child
Mary Harrison widow lodger
Ann Harrison dau of lodger Spinner.

The Richard (child) could be my Richard as he would have been aged 1yr. It’s interesting that there is a brother Ralph as my Richard has a son Ralph and when I looked on the IGI for the possible father Thomas, the most likely had a father called Ralph. I did try looking for a will of Thomas Johnson the possible father of Richard but couldn't find one.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can find a link? If I could establish Richard’s place of birth, that would do the trick! 

Thanks for any ideas,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find a place of birth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 07 22:40 BST (UK) »
Gill,

The only thing I can suggest just having gone through this myself for a client is a long painful search at the archives.  Like me you may get lucky and find them very quickly but I wouldn't hold my breath.  My 4 x G grandmother is causing me this problem and as been for 3 years

ROb
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. If the answer lies somewhere in the archives, I have run out of ideas as to where to look!!! Where would you start?

Have been pondering and thought that maybe a clue lies with his wife? I thought that he might be mentionned in his father in law's will if one exists

Regards,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 18:00 BST (UK) »
He may be mentioned but I doubt is birth place will be unfortunately.  All you can do is start with what you know and work outwards parish by parish assuming he was born in cumberland of course

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP