Author Topic: Looking for a death  (Read 1670 times)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Looking for a death
« on: Friday 11 May 07 18:33 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find the following  death or MI?:
Elizabeth Tweedie nee Rae, who may have died around 1841 in Annan.
Or any trace of her husband John Tweedie, death, remarriage.
Unfortunately don't know when he was born! Probably around 1810.
They had a son, James Tweedie, b 1841 Annan and I am trying to link him with the James Tweedie who was living with his grandparents, James and Dorcas Tweedie, at Smallholm Tollbar, Lochmaben, in 1841 and 1851.
I would be grateful for any help or useful suggestions  :)
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a death
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 07 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again Julieann

Not sure whether this is his birth or christening, but these are John's details on the OPRs:

18/03/1816   TWEEDIE   JOHN   JAMES TWEEDIE/DORCAS JACKSON PITILLO FR274   M   Annan   /DUMFRIES   812/ 0010 0262

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 07 18:52 BST (UK) »
There is a John Tweedie showing as born in Annan and living there in the 1851, born c. 1811. He married an Agnes Cunningham in 1836 going by the OPR entry.
Occupation Master Stater (slater?). Can't easily see any other on the index but that may be down to mis trascriptions on the surname or birth place on the index.

Regards.

Monica

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica.   :)
I eventually found John Tweedie on Scotland's People -TWICE - his birth was entered in the Parish Reg for Annan and for Ruthwell.

The James Tweedie who I think is John's son has John Tweedie and Elizabeth Rae as his parents on his marriage cert.

There is also a birth cert for James Tweedie with those parents. 
Of course, Elizabeth could have died, and John remarried.  I certainly can't find an Elizabeth and John anywhere on the census.

I'll have a look on Scotlands People for the John and Elizabeth Rae marriage, just to check that the entry on the LDS is correct.  Can't think of anything else to try.

I don't seem to be getting notified when I get replies to my postings?!  Have I clicked on something I shouldn't have?
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 20:26 BST (UK) »
Julieann

Good luck with SP  :)

In respect of notifications on your posts, this sometimes happens...no idea why  :-\  I've taken to double checking by clicking on 'Show new replies to your posts' on the top right corner.

Regards.

Monica  :)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 May 07 18:05 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find an Elizabeth Rae and John Tweedie marriage anywhere.
I had another look at James Tweedie' s birth entry, and it suddenly occurred to me that every other entry on the page said 'lawful son (or daughter) of...' except for James', so I think he was probably illegitimate. 
His marriage cert has his mother as Elizabeth Tweedie  ms Rae, but he married in Ayrshire, so no one would have known if it wasn't true.  Also, his wife is described as a 'gentlewoman' on the marriage cert, so, if he was moving up in the world, he could well have wanted to conceal his illegitamacy.
Does that sound reasonable?

I have found an Elizabeth Rae in 1841, but cannot find a suitable John Tweedie, b 1816 anywhere.  He is described as a Carter on James marriage cert.

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 June 20 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Julieann

I cannot help with any certificate for your enquiry, but I know where the old Smsllholm toolbar used to be and have a few records and the odd old map which may be if interest to you. I also have records from the the valuation rolls, but these start in the late 19th Century from memory.

I will have a look for you and come back.

Cheers
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland