Author Topic: Tobermory 1790s John Sinclair  (Read 3956 times)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Tobermory 1790s John Sinclair
« on: Saturday 12 May 07 10:27 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on John Sinclair, distiller at Ledaig distillery in the 1790s. Thanks Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline kerob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tobermory 1790s John Sinclair
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 May 07 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,
I was given a bit of information possibly linking this John with the McFarlane family.
I have Ann Sinclair who married John McFarlane & had 5 maybe more children at Kilmore & Kilbride Argyll. Their daughter Janet's shipping records to Australia in 1838 show her father was a cost watcher at Tobermory.
I am told this Ann is the sister of John Sinclair the merchant & distiller & was given the name Duncan Sinclair as their father who was a Tacksman at Achnacoshan Connel Argyll. 
I searched the web last night, there is very little confirmed information about the merchant & distiller John Sinclair only he started the Tobermory Distillery in 1798. 
I found the following on Rootsweb Archived IsleofMull 2001 by Garry O. MacKechnie
John Sinclair, b. 1770 (approx), Glenkinglass, Argyll, who came to Mull and had a distillery there. He was generally described as being "John Sinclair, Merchant of Tobermory". He reputedly had smacks and possibly a steamer, some of which traded to the Clyde and the steamer possibly as far as Liverpool. 
Sinclair was an energetic entrepreneur and did well enough from his several businesses to retire at the age of 43. He had built up an estate at Lochaline in Morvern to which he retired in 1825 when his wife died. His name remained on the licence until Ledaig closed down in 1837; Sinclair died in 1863 and his mansion at Lochaline is today a grass-grown ruin.
John Sinclair, b. 1770, Glenkinglass m. Catherine MacLachlan (d. 23/Nov/1825)
CHILDREN: (All reputedly born in Mull, but cannot find supporting evidence)
Margaret Campbell Sinclair, b. abt 1817, in Unknown. Married James King 10th June 1840 and had children Agnes R. King (1844), Margaret S. King (1846),
Mary King (1848), Jemima King (1852), Catherine King(1854).
John Sinclair, b. abt.1822, in Unknown
Female (Poss. Janet) Sinclair, b. ?
Female Sinclair, b. ?
Mary Elizabeth Sinclair b. 1823 - 24. (acc. to her age on her Marriage certificate she was born in 1826 i.e. a year after her Mother had died!)
Robert Sinclair d. 24/Nov/1825, in infancy, a day after his Mother
After the death of his wife his wife in 1825, John Sinclair moved to Morvern, having bought the farms that was given the Collective title of Lochaline Estate. He lived for many years there, in Lochaline House, finally dying in 1863, aged 93 years.
Personal estate £3,139. Son John Sinclair, daus.Margaret, Catherine, Flora Ann (deceased), Mary.

I can not confirm any of the above. Do you have any information that would prove Ann Sinclair & John were the children of Duncan?

Kerob

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Re: Tobermory 1790s John Sinclair
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 07 08:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, this posting I was returning a favour for a John Sinclair in Canada. I have sent him the info and link and asked that he replies to you or lets me know and I'll forward it. Cheers Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)