Author Topic: Court Presentations  (Read 566 times)

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Court Presentations
« on: Sunday 13 May 07 09:51 BST (UK) »
Where would I look for court presentations in the early 1900's ie being presented to the court of either Queen Victoria or Edward VII.

I am looking for a possible court presentation of Vera Mary Bayley. She previously to 1900 had lived in Ireland and possibly India, her father was in the army. In 1908 she married the 5th Earl of Rosslyn - I have the entry and the Times cutting on this. What interests me is how did she get to meet the Earl -  was she presented at court so that she could mix in those court circles as the Earl was a friend of Edward VII and his step sister was one of the King's mistresses at one time. The Earl had been previously married twice and was considerably older than Vera, so intrigued as to how they came together.

Any ideas

Thanks

2shea
We are like butterflies, live for a day and think it is forever

Gallington - Mixter - Hill - Brown

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Court Presentations
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 07 10:48 BST (UK) »
'The Edwardian London Summer Season
Young girls came out during the London Summer Season which lasted from May to August. As early as February some would have received invitations for their presentation to the King and Queen at the first Court. In any one season approximately one hundred girls would be received at Court, with thirty or forty debutantes being presented at any one time.'

'The period when a girl joined society was a formality called 'coming out', and usually took place when she reached eighteen. '

You might find lists of such girls in newspapers like The Times.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Court Presentations
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 07 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda.

I was hoping that someone may have had a list taken over the years. The Times was my next port of call as like weddings, they would have been recorded as even then people liked to see their name in print.

Cheers

2shea
We are like butterflies, live for a day and think it is forever

Gallington - Mixter - Hill - Brown