Author Topic: Rootschat's Victorian Photos Website!!!  (Read 53468 times)

Offline snatcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschat's Victorian Photos Website!!!
« Reply #36 on: Friday 10 April 09 21:19 BST (UK) »
Some nice work there,had a good look at your work and you have put in a lot of effort Prue.Its a fantastic job you are  doing there but so time consuming!!! Been there got the T-shirt.This forum is lucky to have a dedicated mod like you on the Photoshop side of things.

if you ever need a hand (in the winter) just giz a nudge  :)

John

ps Are you working in CS 4?
Stephenson,Smith,Tuddenham,Fisher - Gateshead

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 10 April 09 22:51 BST (UK) »
Cheers everyone  :)

John, I'm using Photoshop Elements 3 for the Mac  :)
Haven't updated the site for a long time - all the scanning was finished ages ago but I still have most of the photos stored away (some have been returned to museums in places of origin; families of photographers etc.)

Cheers
Prue

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 10:47 BST (UK) »
There's a website that holds a directory of early photographers by county - just thought I'd post this link here as it might help:

It's a subsection of another of another online photo collection i.e. Roger Vaughan Collection.

Main page:  http://www.cartes.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

Has a good section on dating old photos.....
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 25 September 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
I don't know if any of you are LostCousins members, but they recently tried finding the first person to be photographed, i.e. the person with the earliest birth date to appear in a photograph.

What is the oldest you all have, and what's the oldest on Prue's site?
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
I don't have any old photos in my collection, as the family house & contents were given to a sister who doesn't care about her ancestry and is a hoarder...so no one will likely ever even find where they are in all the clutter.  :P
Like Prue's collection they'll probably turn up in a century and noone will know whose they are...
I did borrow some years ago to scan, and made a digital file of them before returning them. In retrospect, I should have kept the originals. I was the only one who cared enough to ask mom & find out who these people she called her ancestors even were.  :-\  but I'd have felt like a thief, I suppose.

There are many sites online with claims to have decided on the "first photograph of a person" or the oldest person photographed in early photos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_photography
http://www.petapixel.com/2010/10/27/first-ever-photograph-of-a-human-being/
http://gregorear.blogspot.com/2004/12/early-photography.html
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/christopherhowse/100001881/the-first-person-born-who-appeared-in-a-photograph/

But must add that this is Prue's thread , She originally had the site up on Rootschat but has moved it over... she'd like people to visit her work after all her scanning and compiling:
Rootschat's Victorian Photos Website
Visit the site at http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pruesfamily/index.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 09 September 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
I only found this thread the other day & found it very interesting, especially the comments about photos being taken after death.
I downloaded some random Radio 4 podcasts to listen to in the gym and today found myself listening to one about a (new, I think) book called 'Photography in Death' and they mentioned different Victorian photos of dead children seated with their dolls, or lying on their bed posed as if asleep, mothers with swaddled (dead) babies etc. etc. - very fashionable at the time apparently. Macabre - but how odd to listen to that today having just read about it here  :o

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline kellysmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've just come across this post...I had a look at the website but not sure how I go about looking at the pics??  Do I have to order them??

Kelly x

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 21:53 GMT (UK) »
They were once posted on this site but took up a wee bit of room I'd imagine...If you ever want to see the original posting in a long thread such as this one... just go back to the top of page one on the thread...
Prue has done a huge amount of work scanning and posting images over the years... moved them to this new site a few years ago  http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pruesfamily/index.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've just come across this post...I had a look at the website but not sure how I go about looking at the pics??  Do I have to order them??

Kelly x

Thanks to J.J. for posting the new website address  :)

Kelly, you just look at the photos on the website.  As the home page explains, if you think someone might be an ancestor, etc., I can send you a bigger scan on request.

Cheers
Prue