Author Topic: Adoption  (Read 4803 times)

Offline DonnieMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Blood is Strong
    • View Profile
Adoption
« on: Sunday 13 May 07 13:22 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to find out and where if my GG/Grandfather adopted his wifes child from a former relationship in Argyll.
McEachern/McKechnie and variants - Isle of Mull McKinnon - Isle of Mull, MacPherson, MacDonald, MacPhee, MacMillan, MacAulay and Wilson all Benbecula. MacPherson, MacPhee and Campbell-South Uist. McKillop-Oban, McArthur- Island of Luing.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 07 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Donniemac

There was no formal adoption process in Scotland before the early 1930's so there will be no formal recording. All you can do is follow up any clues, such as census entries to see whether a young child is recorded by one name on an early census and perhaps appears using a different surname on a later census.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 07 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Donnie

I don't know the dates involved but it is possible to use Scotland's People to check their marriage and death. I have a similar dilemma and fortunately was able to solve it that way tho they did use their'aoptive dad's name' on marriage and reverted to their original name at death or vice versa which made finding them fun!

Marriages are available on line until 1931 and deaths 1956 on Scotland's People. if later then it is a visit to GROS where you can see everything up to 2006.

Cheers

Ann

Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline DonnieMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Blood is Strong
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 07 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ann and Runner for your replies, rhis came about as in the 1861 census I have a Mary McColl ( aged 1 ) listed as Grand-daughter, living with my x3 greatgrandfather, Donald MacEachern, wife's parents, in the 1871 census the same child is named as Mary MacEachnie, the 2 names I think are the same child, the ages are correct and I know that Donald and his wife did not have a child named Mary, the interesting thing about this is that Donald's wife, Mary McKillop, had a sister named Margaret, who married a McColl, Margaret is listed in the 1861 census staying in Kirkcudbright with her sister and in-laws and also a 1 year old child named Jessie McColl, it appears she may have had twins though have so far been unable to find anything for Mary's birth but have found Jessie's on S.P., by the 1871 census report Margaret had died, Jessie is found in the records for the Poorhouse whilst Mary is now Mary MacEachnie, have been unable to find her or Jessie after 1871, that is why I asked about Adoption, there is one other possibility, Mary and Margaret had another sister, Ann, it is possible that she may have also married someone named McColl but have so far had no luck tracing her. Hope this makes some sort of sense.
McEachern/McKechnie and variants - Isle of Mull McKinnon - Isle of Mull, MacPherson, MacDonald, MacPhee, MacMillan, MacAulay and Wilson all Benbecula. MacPherson, MacPhee and Campbell-South Uist. McKillop-Oban, McArthur- Island of Luing.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 July 07 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Donnie

I am assuming these are all Argyll except where you have mentioned Kirkcudbright ?

I have found a brith for a Mary McColl 4/5/1860 in Tobermory Isle of Mull but dad was John and mum Mary Gillies but don't think she's yours.

I don't think Mary and Jessie are twins because this would be recorded on the record on Scotland's People - I have two sets myself and they are very clearly marked as such.

Could you post what you have for the 1861 ?

Thanks

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline DonnieMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Blood is Strong
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 22:06 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alexander Frater & Penelope Hay
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
Also the 1861  lists the following as DANES when it should be DAVIES

Edward Danes 34 
Flora Danes 22 
Janet Danes 5 
John Danes 3

Flora being a McKillop, sister to Margaret McColl and to Mary MacEachnie.
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley