Author Topic: Irish roots  (Read 4290 times)

Offline CAPPI

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish roots
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you. It is surprising to know that Ballymena is the biggest town as it seems so difficult to find it!
I noted someone else couldn't find it either.
It seems where ever you search for records, every other place seems to appear but not Ballymena which is strange considering it is the biggest town.
I am surprised to hear about the McCluskeys not being a usual name in Ballymena which indicates they moved into the area from some other part.
I am having real problems finding the McCluskeys and the Weirs but maybe I am not looking in the right places!
Anyway, thanks for your help I will try what you suggested on a previous e-mail.
Regards

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 08:53 BST (UK) »
Cappi,

Do you have a marriage cert. for 1913? That would have a great deal of helpful information on it including their addresses at the time of marriage, their father's names and their occupations.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline CAPPI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I do. The marriage took place on the 25th December 1913 at the Roman Catholic Church, Ballymena. John Weir was 28 and a labourer of Springwell Street Ballymena and Louisa Mary McCluskey was 21 and a mill worker of Galgorm Street Ballymena. John Weir's father was Patrick Weir (alive)(Flax Dresser) and for some reason, Mary McCluskey's father is Robert Every or Ebery (alive) (labourer).
Witness were John Joseph Connon and Bridget Lowery.
Regards

Offline Blackadder

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 23:34 BST (UK) »
http://www.ballymenaparish.org/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=20&Itemid=47

This is the Church website. All Saints is the old style 'trad' church building at the top of the site.

Offline CAPPI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 May 07 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this. It is really nice to see the church that John and Mary were married at.
Regards

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 May 07 11:25 BST (UK) »
Cappi,

Link to a list of residents in Ballymena from 1881

http://www.irishgenealogy.net/cp/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline CAPPI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 May 07 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ronnie. I note there are no Weirs and no McCluskeys in this list of residents! how frustrating!
Maybe they did not originate in Ballymena after all. John Weir was born in 1885, we always thought, in Ballymena but perhaps that was not the case or maybe the family had not been residents of Ballymena for too long before he was born.
His marriage definitely took place in Ballymena but that was not until 1913.
Hello, I have just noticed something (strange how you see what you think should be there!) John's father's name was Patrick (on John's marriage cert). I have the marriage certificate for Patrick's marriage to Margaret McCluskey but that was not until 1889 and we always thought that John Weir was born in 1895 but his marriage cert. in 1913 states he was 28 years old.
The trouble is the records for Ireland are not as available as the records for the UK  so I have no way of searching myself. The only records so far that I have found (LDS) etc. do not include any members of my family. I am beginning to wonder if they ever existed at all!
Thanks for your help
Regards

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 May 07 18:11 BST (UK) »
Cappi,

Another link for you to play around with while we look for something more concrete.

http://www.ancestryireland.com/database.php

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline CAPPI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 May 07 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie
Thank you. I have just found this site by going to the Antrim page in RootsChat. The link to it had been suggested to someone else so I had a look.
I have now taken a months registration and have found the marriage of John Weir and Louisa Mary McCluskey so I am thrilled! I had already got this information but it was so good to find it somewhere for myself.
I also found the marriage of Patrick Weir and Margaret McCluskey, another record I already had which is brilliant.
I so wish I could have found things I didn't already know about. Like Louisa Marys birth etc but maybe I will find that eventually if I search hard and long enough. The website had no birth record for her so maybe she was not registered. Is this a possibility do you think?
Anyway, I am so grateful to you for suggesting these links so any others you think may be helpful will be much appreciated.
Regards