Author Topic: Forrest Dunbartonshire  (Read 2241 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Forrest Dunbartonshire
« on: Sunday 13 May 07 18:38 BST (UK) »
Trying to find birth of James Forrest.  He married Janet Rochead (various spellings) in Kirkintilloch.
Children were:

James b1781 Kirkintilloch
Andrew b1782 Slamannan
John b1784 Slamannan
Mary b1789 Cumbernauld
Robert b1791 Cumbernauld
Janet 1793 Slamannan
Elphiston b 1798 Campsie
Malcolm b1805 Campsie 

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Forrest Dunbartonshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 07 07:37 BST (UK) »
I'd locked this post by mistake.  No longer locked.
-------------------

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 June 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I have a copy of the marriage OPR for James and Janet if you'd like to pm me your email will send.

However the marriage took place in 1826! Is only one on Scotland's People. Gives Janet's parents names (Andrew and Mary Smillie) but alas not James'

James jnr's birth states Janet is mum so looks like maybe they didn't get married til after children born. There is also something odd about the marriage cert which suggests Janet was 65!

Have done a whole Scotland search for James snr's birth between 1740 and 1770 and nothing there. This could well be tho because his parents were not established church of Scotland - is quite common for OPR baptisms to be missing for that reason.

The good news is tho the National Archives Scotland do hold some records for non conformist OPRs so is worth contacting them.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 June 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ann,
I've got this document.
I've been in touch with GROS as it has been misinterpreted.
1826 is the death of Janet at age 65.
That particular OPR record was used for all family events and it was just updated as events occurred.
I can understand why it looks odd to you - kept me guessing for quite a while until I was able to check info with other sources. 
Thanks also for running those other searches.
I'm currently checking out various M.I.s to try and get more info but will get around to contacting NAS and other sources.
Dave

Anybody else got anything on the family that might be of use to me?

-------------------

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 June 07 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thanks for explaining that record for me. It looked odd to me must admit that she would marry at that age!

Not seen one of them before so will bear it in mind.

Hope you find him

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 June 07 17:43 BST (UK) »
Trying to find birth of James Forrest.  He married Janet Rochead (various spellings) in Kirkintilloch.
Children were:

James b1781 Kirkintilloch
Andrew b1782 Slamannan
John b1784 Slamannan
Mary b1789 Cumbernauld
Robert b1791 Cumbernauld
Janet 1793 Slamannan
Elphiston b 1798 Campsie
Malcolm b1805 Campsie 

-------------------

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 June 07 18:29 BST (UK) »
Dave

Yes I did see that but assumed because you hadn't put a date on it you didn't have the marriage cert! Perhaps worth putting the dates on when you do have something then people like me who are trying to help you won't provide something you already have.

Thanks

Ann

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 June 07 21:47 BST (UK) »
Ann, that wasn't directed at you.  I just inserted the quote to bring it to the top of the thread again to save people reading through the entire thread.
I DO appreciate your help.
Dave :D
-------------------

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 June 07 21:50 BST (UK) »
Dave

Lol no offence taken at all just thought worth mentioning cos makes people focus on the things you need rather than what you already have.

Ann   ;D