Author Topic: Hawaii-Harris and Cooke Family  (Read 1736 times)

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
Hawaii-Harris and Cooke Family
« on: Monday 14 May 07 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could anyone please point me in the right direction to find out more on my 2x Great Uncle George S Harris, (born abt 1891 in Middlesex England) and his wife Violet Cooke.
From what i know (heard) Violet was from Hawaii, she married George and they settled in Hawaii, George died early in their marriage from TB. They adopted 3 girls. I think they may have married in US as i have not found a marriage in England. Yet they must have travelled there a bit as my grandmother had quite a few stories about her Aunt Violet.

I found a possible California Passenger and Crew list, yet was unable to view it in full detail, it stated that George Harris was residing in Hawaii, departed Honolulu, arrived in San Francisco, destined for Hawaii.

I have very little knowledge of researching USA as no one in my research besides George has travelled there.

Violet died in the 1970s. i don't know if she remarried after the death of George, i have a feeling she did. 2 of their adopted girls may still be alive, i know 1 died in a horse accident.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii-Harris and Cooke Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 07 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I found George and Violet in Honolulu the 1920 census. She is listed as octoroon, born California, father Hawaii, mother Ohio. George is a bookkeeper. In 1930, she is a widow, living in Makarias, Maui. She has one adopted daughter, Laura Ann, 4 months old, born in Hawaii, parents born in US. Also with Violet is Ruth Smith, 30, companion (secretary), Margaret Bruce, nurse, 38, Yoshino Kajita, servant (cook), and Alice Azimine, 18, servant. I found Violet on several passenger lists in the 20s. Two in particular, 1927 and 1928, she is traveling alone. And I found her Social Security Death record, born 14 Sep 1888 (which agreed with several passenger records I found) and died 15 Sep 1970 in Kula, Maui, Hawaii.

Do you think it possible she adopted her daughters after George died? Maybe if you can contact the library in Kula you can get an obituary for Violet.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to Hawaii libraries:

http://www.hawaii.gov/hidocs/hi_directory.htm

I think it is the Molokai Public Library that would serve Kula, but am not sure. There is an email address, so I say go for it.

Kath
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 07 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath
Wow thank you so much, so exciting finally finding something about 'Aunt Violet' it doesn't surprise me that she did a bit of travelling.
Lately i found my Gt Uncle (nephew of George Harris) on a message board in Rootsweb. Family say that he passed away not long after this year 2000 post. Anyway he says in this post that he is looking for his cousins, 2 of the adopted girls.

He says that Violet's father was with a shipping line 'Madison and Cooke' from San Francisco, they maybe lived in a colonial house on the island.  The Harris's went to England on their honeymoon and returning to Maui Mr Harris contacted TB and died early in the marriage. They adopted 3 girls, 1 daughter died in a horse riding accident the other 2 would be in their 60s now. Violet lived on Maui when she met and married her husband Mr Harris who came from England in the 1920s.

I wonder if he ever found the 2 girls?I did a little searching yesterday and found a passenger that could have been George, on a ship Strathearn, arriving Oct 31 1920. Departing London. But George Harris is a pretty common name so who knows!

Thank you for all that info, i will check with that library right now! :)
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 00:37 BST (UK) »
Try doing a little research on the company also. You might be able to find some info about them. Try Googling and contacting a library in San Fran.

Let me know if you have any luck. I have a cousin who had some prominent relatives in San Fran around the same time and she has done loads of research there. I will see if she has any ideas.

Kath

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kath
Will see what i can find, and get back to you.
I think when i first came across nans uncle's post i googled the shipping line and came up with nothing, but just had a look at San Fran's library and looks promising. will keep in touch!
Cheers  ;D
Cat

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath
I've found out a bit of info in the last few hours!
Have emailed San Fran Library and that Hawaii one too, still waiting to hear from them, but i have found alot of passenger records, with the help of ancestry.com membership!
One interesting one says for Violet and husband George states the nearest relative and address is castle and cooke, honolulu, so i think gt uncle got mixed up on the madison and cooke shipping line. Now i have to go back and google castle and cooke as i saw a lot on them!
Oh well i better get back to it and see what else i can accomplish!
Cheers
Cat ;D

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 10:30 BST (UK) »
That is good and very exciting. Here is a website my cousin gave me:

http://sfgenealogy.com/sf/index.htm

She said they are very helpful at most libraries out there also, so that's a great route to pursue.

Keep me posted.

Kath

Offline Maui Liam

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 October 21 00:28 BST (UK) »
I believe the house where Violet lived is currently for sale on Maui.  It's an absolutely magical spot - gives me chills to walk through the house.  Like a Harry Potter Mansion. Here is the link with pictures etc. https://www.zillow.com/homes/300-Kepa-Rd-Kula,-HI-96790_rb/734996_zpid/