Author Topic: Re: Death Certificates  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificates
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 December 04 21:33 GMT (UK) »
The detail on their marriage certificate is revealing. John was clearly the child of a single mother. If he was so frank as to avoid inventing a father's name [very common then] then one should think that his age is likely to be correct also, a birth in 1861. One should try to find the poorhouse, workhouse for the Wigton area. Their records will possibly put you right. I suggest you follow up by searching from the URL below. Good luck - I doubt if I can be of further help :)
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Wigton/Wigton.shtml
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 December 04 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geordielass

First, I have tried to establish where Parson Bridge was - to see if they were there in the 1881 census.  From what I can see there was a farm at Parson Bridge, Stoneraise, Westward, Wigton occupied by a THOBURN family and three dwellings that were uninhabited.  However, I stand to be corrected on the location of Parson Bridge because I am not familiar with the area.  Let's just hope that those three dwellings were actually uninhabited and that the enumerator didn't just not get them - if I am in the right place of course!

Just a couple more questions if you don't mind .................... am hoping that the answers will help.

Have you got the mother and children on the 1891 census?

Where were the children born?

William Haughan born 1881 - was that his middle name or surname?   He was obviously born before marriage and am wondering if his father was John TAYLOR?

Like Hackstable says, John was almost certainly illegitimate himself.  We've all got them (well most of us) in our tree - if we've done our work properly!

Look forward to your posting

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 December 04 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geordielass

I have now seen your other postings and see that you already have Mary and children in 1891.  I've spent a couple of hours rooting around in the 1871/1881 etc. but can't find anything conclusive.

Going on the assumption that William Haughan was born Nov 1881 (and assuming that he was a full term baby) it would seem that Mary conceived around about census night on 3 April 1881.  If this were the case then I would expect to find John TAYLOR (if he were the father) not far away from her (she was in service at Bowness?).  However, the 1891 census leads us to believe that William was 8 ie. born c1882/1883 as you first thought.  It is not unusual for ages to be out on census returns (1 or 2 years is never worth worrying about) but I now wonder about the accuracy and source of your cousins information.

You say you have a birth certificate for a John TAYLOR but can't be certain that it is the correct John TAYLOR.  Perhaps it might be a good idea to try and follow his mother - ie. did she have any other children and, if so, what became of them.  Did she later marry?  Does she appear in any census returns?

With regards to this John TAYLOR whose birth certificate you have - have you checked the census returns to make sure that he doesn't crop up later.  Can you be sure that he didn't die - burial registers etc..

The marriage witnesses - HAUGHAN and GATE.  Were they related?  Interesting that their firstborn may have been named after the witness William HAUGHAN.

And who were the DEVINE visitors on the 1891 census?  I have noticed that they come from Wallsend, like the BEATTIEs, so may be related that way?

Maybe it would be a good idea to check out the births/baptisms of all the TAYLOR children just in case there is something in those records.  Unlikely maybe but who knows what will turn up.  Sometimes births are registered by other relations - I have one registered by a grandmother!

And, going back to the original question, there is always the possibility that John's death was registered by a relative.  If it is within your budget, I would get the death certificate.  Again, you never know it might have been accidental and if so there would have been an inquest and, possibly, a newspaper report.

I can't think of anything else right now.  Not really of much help I know but hope you find it of some interest at least.

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geordielass

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandfather William Taylor with sister.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi casalguidi & Hackstaple,

I can't begin to thank you for the trouble you have taken to help me. 

The story passed down the family was that John Taylor's parents DID NOT approve of his marriage to Elizabeth Beattie and that is why he left off his parents names on their marriage certificate.

I will copy and paste what you have both written and try to digest it when I am thinking more clearly as have been doing volunteer work all day today and in again Wednesday so will not have time to go through it all until Thursday.

The Devine's were Elizabeth Beatties in-laws,  she went to live in Newcastle to be near her brother after she lost her husband in 1890 and daughter Sarah in 1892.

I don't have access to any Census except the 1881 0nline but did manage to access 1891 & 1871 for a couple of days when it was a trial period on line.

Once again thanks for your time

Kind regards
geordielass
PS
Have listed a Web Page for the Taylors with the new Rootschat Website offer.

http://taylorcumbfhs.rootschat.net/

Researching
Taylor-Beattie-Coulthard in Cumberland
Ritchie-Wilson -Taylor in Northumberland/Newcastle upon Tyne
Donaldson-Lodge -Day-Tulip in Cumberland/Durham/Northumberland

Offline geordielass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi casalguidi,

I have just had another read of your email and to answer a couple of your questions we don't know where John Taylor's children were born.

We do know that they lived at 8 Meeting House Lane Wigton in April 1892 when daughter Sarah's death was registered as that is shown on her death certificate.

That's about all we know at present I only started this in April this year and have a lot to learn.

Kind Regards
geordielass
Researching

Offline siriusdogstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 13:23 BST (UK) »
I have extensive information on the Haughan family if you want it.  Amongst 7 Williams there isn't one born 1882 but there is one born 1880 in Lanchester, Co.Durham, whose father was John Thomas Haughan and his mother was Sarah Jane Nixon.  John Thomas was born in Shincliffe, Durham in 1853 but his father, William, came from Bewcastle in Cumberland.  He married a Violet Anderson in 1926 and died in 1930.

There is another, b. 1884 in Birtley, Co.Durham.  Father William Haughan (illegitimate: b. 1854 to Catherine Haughan (b. 1835 in Bewcastle, Cumberland)) and Jane Lumley.

The roots of both William's families are in Cumberland.  I have details back to John Haughan b. about 1690.  They started in Annan just over the border in Scotland.

Offline Purplemouse

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Haughan family history
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 January 06 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I am interested to know of the details you have for the Haughan family tree. I have done extensive research myself but ownder if you might have information that I don't. E.B

Offline geordielass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate query last year
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 June 06 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sirusdogstar,

I must apologise for not replying to you last year, you must have thought me rude. Last year we were offline for over 3 months and it took me a while to get back into genealogy.  I have only just seen your post.

Please accept my apology.

regards
geordielass
Researching