Author Topic: stoneykirk = kirk sessions  (Read 9093 times)

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
stoneykirk = kirk sessions
« on: Tuesday 15 May 07 08:28 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know whether any documents are available from the Stoneykirk Kirk sessions.  Trying to establish the relationship between John McFadzean aka as Mc Fadyean, Helen Kelly and my gggrandfather, John Edgar born ca 1827. John Edgar married in South Australia when it wasnt necessary to give one's parents names so we are trying to find a needle in a haystack.  We know that Robert McFadzean came to South Australia in 1857 and he is somehow related.  Robert's parents were John McFadzean and Helen Kelly from Stonykirk. John and Helen married in 1831 and it is possible that John Edgar is the child of an unknown Edgar and Helen Kelly before she married. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Robeena
Bennett, Logan, Simper, Brooker, Smerdon, Hall, Deely,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: stoneykirk = kirk sessions
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Robeena

The only John Edgar that I can find, baptised around that time is:

30 January 1827, Inch to William Edgar and Jean Hood.

Regards

Gadget

PS The National Archives in Edinburgh have the Kirk Sessions minute books for most parishes. There are also some copies locally but I'm not sure if Stoneykirk is one of them
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
Thank you for your reply.  I do know the John Edgar born Inch, unfortunately he died 1896 in Scotland so cannot be my relative who died in Adelaide, South Australia. Looks like I will have to get someone to do a lookup in Edinburgh unless the LDS have a copy.  Thanks again.
Robeena

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Robeena

Have you found him on the 1841 or 1851 census?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
There is one John Edgar living in Stoneykirk but not with his family working as a labourer.  My John arrived in 1848 so only the 1841 is relevant.  Practically all the John Edgars in the area, including Dumfriesshire are not with their families so it makes it really difficult. Two cousins and myself have just about gone through every John of the right age in Scotland.  My Uncle was convinced that his ggrandparents came from Dumfries but we have found nothing to connect him.  The only clue we have are the McFadzean family and possibly Helen McPherson who was married to a John Kelly. My ggrandfather was known as "John McPherson Edgar" although we think that the McPherson was just a nickname.
Robeena

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 11:37 BST (UK) »
Have you followed up the Helen McPherson/John Kelly lead? There might be some form of relationship there.

Was John Kelly Helen Kelly's brother or some relation?

Gadget

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Helen Kelly's father was Robert Kelly mother was Mary Orr.  I think Robert and John may have been brothers.  John Kelly and Helen McPherson appear to be missing from the 1841 census, I can't find them anywhere through Ancestry although I found Helen's mother indexed as Belly not Kelly and only found her through Agnes Orr her grandmother living in the same household. Helen McPherson/Kelly was born in Kirkmabrick Wigtownshire she died in 1846 aged 57 or 59 apparently the records arent clear. I have also been trying to find the John, father William mother Janet Hood on the 1841 census to rule him out as the one in Stoneykirk.  He died in Eastwood, Renfrewshire. Any other thoughts welcome.
Robeena

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 11:49 BST (UK) »
Let me think on this, Robeena  :)

When I was searching for my Carson ancestors in Kirkmabreck, I found that one of them had married a Kelly and they lived in Balmaghie at one stage. This is all from memory at the moment - it is a while since I looked at this info.

I'll have to have a look back. Then a  think and will get back to you.

Regards

Gadget

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 11:52 BST (UK) »
This is Kirmabrick, Wigtownshire not Kirkmabreck, Kirkcudbright. One never knows though. 
Thanks
Robeena