Author Topic: stoneykirk = kirk sessions  (Read 9094 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: stoneykirk = kirk sessions
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 11:55 BST (UK) »
Is that in Stoneykirk - I can find no reference to it?

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 11:58 BST (UK) »
I think it might be Kirkmaiden but not sure.  Not too good with Wigtownshire geography. We have not found a marriage for John Kelly and Helen McPherson but two of the children were born in Stoneykirk and the actual register apparently says Helen McPherson of Kirkmabrick. John is on the 1851 census but as Helen died in 1846 obviously not.
Robeena
Bennett, Logan, Simper, Brooker, Smerdon, Hall, Deely,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 12:08 BST (UK) »
I think they might be the best line of investigation. I'm looking at an old map of Wigtownshire - 1832 atlas, Here:

http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/540.html

It might take a while, perhaps you could have a look at the same time - two heads and all that  :)

Gadget

PS - other maps and gazeteer on http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
It appears to be a bit north of Ardwell.  On the east side of the peninsula. It is funny someone a while back posted a note to me about a John Edgar with some connection to the Carson family. I can't remember who it was now but you might find it if you search for my postings.  This John was in America and may have died but it was from an old letter and the wording was ambigious

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 13:07 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure whether this is of any use at all but I did a search on baptisms in Stoneykirk and Kirkmainden for McPherson (various spellings) (1821-1828) and came up with these two:

8th April 1822 Susan
4th Feb 1827 Elizabeth

To James McPherson and Elizabeth Armstrong.

Another point - where they of the Established Church because these are the ones that are most commonly available. If they were Roman Catholic or other non-conformist, a baptism might not be recorded.

Gadget

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 13:16 BST (UK) »
 Hi Gadget,
I cannot say for certain what church they were.  Some of the Mcfadzean's have baptism entries some don't.  Two of the John Kelly/Helen McPh. children have baptisms on the IGI. I don't think they were Catholic or none of the children would be found on the IGI. My John Edgar went to the Free Presbyterian church here, however, it was the only Presbyterian church so he may not have had an option. On the 1851 census John Kelly had a child James McPherson aged 7 living with him gave him as his grandson but can't find him anywhere after this except in 1881 is one who appears to be this James but no baptism either. It is a headscratcher this one.
Cheers
Robin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 13:21 BST (UK) »
I'll say  :(

I think it's one of those where you'll have to investigate each family group backwards and forwards  and see if there is any connection whatsoever. I presume you've got all the children's names?

Gadget

Offline robeena

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 13:34 BST (UK) »
I have the names of the McFadzean children.  The children of John/ Helen Kelly I only know of three, Ellen born ca 1819 no baptism, John b 1821 baptised and Mary Jane baptised 1824. Ellen is on the 1851 census with her father but don't know where Mary Jane is, Mary is so difficult to find. The children of Robert Kelly and Mary Orr we have, they run very much in line with my own family which is why I thought John Edgar could have been the child of Helen McFadzean before she married.
Robin

Offline beenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 July 07 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Robeena,
I know this doesn't help but I found this in the MI book for Stoneykirk
(Urn with swags) Erected by John McPHERSON to the memory of his mother Agnes LEWAR who departed this life at Sandhead Decr. the 16th 1830 aged 63 years. Also Hugh McPHERSON  his father who died at Kirkmaiden 1826. Also the erector John MCPHERSON who died at Balmesh 21 June 1882 aged 95 years. His sister Helen who died at Kirkmaiden 6th Sept 1846 aged 57 years and John KELLY her husband who died at Kirkmabreck 6th Sept 1851 aged 62 years. Also John their son who died at Ardwell 2nd Feb 1878 aged 56 years. 
Have you tried looking in the Wigtownshire Pages under Stoneykirk, they have a list of deaths and also transcripts from the Wigtownshire free press.  I have both Kelly's and McPhersons on my side and it is a nightmare as most I think were born in Ireland
If I find anything else I will let you know.
Regards
Jeanne
Milwain, Hill, McCracken, McCulloch, Chalmers, Kelly, McMillan, Shields, McClurg, Kirkmaiden and Stoneykirk