Author Topic: Harry BEST of March  (Read 1389 times)

Offline BJC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harry BEST of March
« on: Tuesday 15 May 07 19:57 BST (UK) »
 :)  Hello
I am having difficulty in finding Harry BEST (born 1871) after 1901.  On the 1901 census he was still living with his Mother, Susannah Best on Gaul Drove, March and was employed as a letter carrier. 
I have put messages out on the RootsWeb Postal Workers mailing list but have not had any replies.
If anyone has any clues where I can look next, or can find him for me, then I would be grateful.
Thank you.
BJC
Best, Cambs & Surrrey
Groves, Cambs & Durham
Cropper, Stockport
Wilson, Isle of Axholme, Lincs.
Whetton, Clay Cross. Derbys.
Booth, Belper, Derbys.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harry BEST of March
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 07 18:18 BST (UK) »
Well, until the release of the 1911 census in a few years, it is always a struggle to follow people. Especially if they havent married and had children by 1901.

So - my ideas for what they are worth:

a)Trawl through the death indexes (free on ancestry, choose the full version and go thru year by year, and quarter by quarter within each year), from 1901 onwards till you find when he died.

b) Find death of his mum, if you done already have it, by the same method, and then look for a will for her. Very likely she will mention her unmarried 'dependent' son. Highly likely he will be the executor. In which case you will get an address for him at time of her death, as well as any info about him in the actual will.

c) Look in trades directories for years after 1901. They usually list the postmaster, and sometimes other postal workers

d) Contact local record office, or Family History Society, or any local MArch Society if there is one (try phoning local March library and asking) to see if they have details on the local postman

e) If you are local, go to the library and read up local history books

And dont give up! An ancestor of mine was the postie in a village called Angmering in Sussex. I now have details of who were his fellow posties, and even a photo of him on his penny farthing bicycle (from the Angmering Society)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BJC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry BEST of March
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 07 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hello lizdb  :)
Thank you for your suggestions.  I have already trawled through the deaths but couldn't spot him in North Witchford. 
I will put a request out on Rootsweb for Wisbech to see if anyone has any postmen information.
Your other suggestions are much appreciated and will bear them in mind.
BJC
Best, Cambs & Surrrey
Groves, Cambs & Durham
Cropper, Stockport
Wilson, Isle of Axholme, Lincs.
Whetton, Clay Cross. Derbys.
Booth, Belper, Derbys.