Author Topic: Do you know these places in Kingsnorth/Ashford?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline bishopsb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do you know these places in Kingsnorth/Ashford?
« on: Wednesday 16 May 07 02:14 BST (UK) »
The following are addresses listed for my ancestors on census records.  If I visited Kent, could I find these places?  Could anyone point me in the right direction with modern-day addresses? 

Park Farm, Kingsnorth
44 Kingsnorth Rd., Kingsnorth
16 Chart Rd., Kingsnorth
115 Mill Bank Beaver (?), Ashford

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know these places in Kingsnorth/Ashford?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 08:05 BST (UK) »
Park Farm is now a huge housing estate - about 1,000 houses.

Try multimap to find the other roads.  Ashford is a growth town - some area have changed considerably in recent years.

It's always worth Googling to see if an individual address shows up.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hallo bishopsb.
                 As your earlier reply states, Park Farm is now a large and growing housing estate established in the last ten to fifteen years. The old farm house may have been retained, but I am pretty sure not - I don't go in there if I can avoid it, and it is a bit of a warren. You can find it on older maps, though. It might be worth contacting Ashford library to find if they have any old photographs of the farm house, or perhaps some may have been taken before the development commenced.
                  Kingsnorth Road still exists and was at one time the only road into Ashford from the south. It remains almost unchanged during the last fifty years and is very much a residential road, but I am not sure that many would be the original properties from the last available census.
                     At its southern end, Kingsnorth road turns into Millbank Road which itself turns into Chart Road, both now being encroached upon by new developments. Obtain a good map of Ashford and you will be able to locate all these roads.
                      There is also Beaver Road and Beaver Lane, but 'Beaver' is often used locally as a vague reference to an area of South Ashford.
                       Can't guarantee all the addresses still exist but at least the roads do. Hope this is of use,
                                                  regards,
                                                          Scobie

Offline doodlebug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 12:11 BST (UK) »
Further to Scobie's post, I suspect that Chart road was longer than today and Pound lane may have originally been part of Chart road.  44 Kingsnorth road may have been part of Millbank place, Beaver green was redeveloped for post war housing.