Author Topic: Will Advice Please-Prior 1858  (Read 868 times)

Offline kiwisusan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Will Advice Please-Prior 1858
« on: Wednesday 16 May 07 22:16 BST (UK) »
During a search of the Hampshire Record Office I found mention of a couple of Wills that could belong to my Morze family, albiet the Wills are spelt Mose or Moaze.  There are 5 Wills dating from 1719 - 1759.

I thought I would download the Will dated 1719 for Richard Mose (Moaze) of South Hayling - Yeoman.

However when I searched the National Archives for the Wills I can't seem to find any of them mentioned anywhere despite trying wildcards, just entering occupation or South Hayling.

Could anyone advise me if all Wills prior to 1858 have been deposited at the Archives and I should continue searching? 

If all else fails I could order the Will from the Hampshire Record Office but it is dearer than the National Archives download and it would take a little time to get here to NZ by snail mail.

Susan

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will Advice Please-Prior 1858
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 22:31 BST (UK) »
The wills mentioned on the Hampshire RO site will be those proved in the local church diocese court, and you will only be able to get copies from the record office.

The National Archive website only has wills proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury - which does include wills from places around the UK because they were made by people who owned property in more than one church diocese.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwisusan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 07 00:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Gallium.  I have learnt something new today.

Regards

Susan

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 07 10:48 BST (UK) »
I am sorry Susan:  my message looks a bit curt in the cold light of day.  It wasn't meant to be.

I haven't come across anywhere online that gives completely clear and unambiguous information about which wills are where, and why. 

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/wills/step1.htm

sort of helps, but finding wills is something that you will pick up as you go along.  Some County record offices, such as Gloucestershire make it fairly easy by having a searchable database, but most others don't.  Some charge more than the £3.50 that Hampshire do, others less. 

Anyway, I hope you are able to get your wills without too much delay, and enjoy  reading them!

best wishes, Gallium
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 12:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Susan

The following website might be worth a try - there seem to be a bunch of Mose wills albeit in Surrey :-

www.rootsweb.com/~engsurry/m2o.shtml

Best of luck

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL