Author Topic: Finding a will  (Read 2115 times)

Offline cass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Finding a will
« on: Thursday 17 May 07 11:17 BST (UK) »
My uncle died in the first quarter of 1982 and left a will leaving my mother some money. How would I find this will without having to go to Cumberland? He was Edward Wilson Whitfield and he died in Workington. Many thanks Cass
Cumbria - Whitfield, Fagan, Murphy, Sloan, Weighman, Ousby, Brunskill
Hampshire - Alford
Ireland - County Down - Fagan, Murphy
Kidderminster - Whitfield

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FINDING A WILL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 07 11:42 BST (UK) »
Do you know who the Solicitor was that dealt with this? perhaps you could write to all the solicitors in the area asking for details obviously you will have to provide proof of who you are and reasons but they may be able to help you.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline cass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 07 11:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't know the solicitor Toni. My other uncle put an advert in a Newcastle paper to find  my mother so I have put a post on that site. My mother lost contact with her brothers and I am trying to find a NOK for any of them although I am not sure they actually had any children. Cass
Hampshire - Alford

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 07 12:03 BST (UK) »
this may be a bit of a backward way to go about it but if you know where he died i.e Workington and when he died i.e. 1982 and his name Edward Wilson Whitfield you could write to the funeral directors to see which took care of his funeral and they may have other information on file for him which could lead you to this will / solicitors. I don't know how many there are in the Workington area (solicitors or funeral directors.)
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline cass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a will
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 May 07 12:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Toni, that sounds like a good idea. I may even try the cemetries as they have info on who bought the plot. Cass
Hampshire - Alford

Offline modem

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 May 07 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Cass

Anyone can buy a copy of a proved will. Copies of post 1858 will are hels centrally. There is good advice on the National Archives site on how to go about it. What it boils down to is that if you know name, place and date of death you should be able to order a copy from the York Probate Registry for £5, it does take about 6 weeks though. If you live in/near London you can go to the Probate Offices in High Holborn and search for and order it personally

Sorry to be brief but the TNA advice spells it out better than I can and provides the relevant links to download application forms etc.

Regards

Modem

Offline cass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 May 07 23:52 BST (UK) »
That great! I had no idea - will try that.Cass
Hampshire - Alford