Author Topic: Missing Pages in 1881 Census?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Missing Pages in 1881 Census?
« on: Saturday 04 December 04 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for Henry (b1816) & ELizabeth Sheppard(b1818) and have found them in all the censuses bar one! :(

To start with, I thought the family had moved from Norton St Philip in Somerset, because they weren't on the 1881 census. Then I found they were definitely there in december 1880. ???

Browsing through the images in Ancestry, it looks to me like some pages have got missed off the end as Norton Farm, Wick Farm, Wick Farm Cottages, New Lodge etc, together with their resident families are all missing.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to find out whether they are genuinely missing, didn't get filmed or what?

All suggestions welcomed....

Thanks

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Pages in 1881 Census?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 December 04 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Fisrt step I would have thought is to contact Ancestry, and ask them.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 04 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline

Thanks for the swift response. I have contacted ancestry, but no joy so far. As the parts of the village missing on Ancestry are also missing on the LDS index, I suspect they may be missing from the National Archives film set. I'm a bit nervous about contacting National Archives though....

Thanks

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 04 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted ancestry, but no joy so far. As the parts of the village missing on Ancestry are also missing on the LDS index, I suspect they may be missing from the National Archives film set. I'm a bit nervous about contacting National Archives though....Thanks Angela

Hello Angela
It is quite likely that if the census entries are missing with both Ancestry and the LDS that the entries will be missing completely. Have you been to the relevant family history centre to view the census district concerned? Or do you live far from that region? If you are not in a position to visit the family history ctr. Have you contacted them by telephone? They may be able to let you know if any given areas are known to be missing :-\

All the best in your research

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 December 04 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Welsh Jen

Thanks very much for your reply. I've never experienced Family History Centres - there aren't any near me.... Aren't they LDS outlets?

Are they usually helpful? I could try ringing - didn't think of that! :-X
WOuld the appropriate Record Office be likely to know?

Thanks again

Angela

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 December 04 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I will instant message you now with regards to your location with the help of assisting you to nearby family history centres.

Jen  :D