Author Topic: Churches Ballyhackamore  (Read 2480 times)

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Churches Ballyhackamore
« on: Thursday 17 May 07 20:47 BST (UK) »
Any ideas where I would get info on which churches were in the Ballyhackamore area from approx 1840?
Mandy

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: Churches Ballyhackamore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 07 21:17 BST (UK) »
Mandy,

Ballyhackamore was in the parish of Holywood, Belfast Union, Co. Down.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 07 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandy,

Are you looking for information on the churches of every branch of the Christian faith? 

The Kirkpatrick Memorial Presbyterian Church in Ballyhackamore was built in 1927. I'm not certain if it was built near the site of an earlier church. There may not have been a Presbyterian church in the village until the Iron Church was built in 1908 as the Ballyhackamore Village Trust website mentions the Jubilee National School on the Sandown Road being used for church services. St Columba's CoI Church on the King's Road, Knock, Belfast was within walking distance from Ballyhackamore but it wasn't there in 1840. It was consecrated in 1896.

I'll have to see if I can find a map if the area which can be posted on the thread. The Sandown Road runs between the Upper Newtownards Road from Ballyhackamore to the Knock Road. The King's Road is on your left hand side heading to the Knock Road. When you get to the junction turn right and go up a hill. At the top of the hill on the right hand side are the ruins of the old Knock Parish church which was the main Church of Ireland in the parish until it combined with Breda to become Knockbreda parish in 1658. It was called the church of Cave Columkille and it wasn't a very big church.

Christopher

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 07 22:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Chris - my elusive Tedfords seem to have been from that area and at least one was married in Knock Pres. Church. I was just wondering if there were any others I should look at as I hope to get up to PRONI tomorrow.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 May 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandy,

The history of Knock Presbyterian Church contains useful information about the area. In the early 1870s Knock was a largely rural area with a population of businessmen, merchants and landowners. There were villages nearby such as Strandtown and Ballymacarrett (both of which are now very much part of urban east Belfast). There's no mention of Ballyhackamore in the article ... in the 1840s it would have been a small village. It might be an idea to check the Ballymacarrett and Strandtown churches.

Christopher.

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 May 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks - will do!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009