Author Topic: Tomkins of Shropshire  (Read 2459 times)

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Tomkins of Shropshire
« on: Saturday 22 May 04 20:25 BST (UK) »
Researching Tomkins family in Shropshire in 1840's and earlier

I have a Fanny Tomkins born 1847 and would love to find her parents and any siblings she may have had.

Thanks
Floridagirl. :)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Tomkins of Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 06 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Was Fanny born in Quatford, Shropshire?

If so, then here she is in 1851:

HO107/1986 folio 13, page 396

Hill House, Quatford, Shropshire

Thomas Tomkins Head Marr M 45 Ag Lab Shropshire Kinlet
Mary Tomkins Wife Marr 47 Shropshire Much Wenlock
John Tomkins Son Un 13 Ag Lab Shropshire Middleton Scriven
Louise Tomkins Dau Un 10 Scholar Shropshire Middleton Scriven
Thomas Tomkins Son Un 7 Scholar Shropshire Claverley
Fanny Tomkins Dau 4  Shropshire Quatford

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 06 00:42 GMT (UK) »

RG9/1849 folio 70 page 5

30 St Mary's Street, Bridgnorth, Shropshire

Fanny Tomkins Serv age 14 Shropshire Quatford

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 06 01:01 BST (UK) »
HI Lloydy,
Only just found your answer to my question about Fanny Tomkins.
I had found them on the 1851 through some kind person searching for me and managed to go quite far back through the Tomkins side, but I didn't have Fanny on the 1861, so I'm delighted with that.
Thanks so much, now all I've got to do is find her marriage. I know she was in Oswestry in 1871 married to William Jones and living in Willow Street.
I found a marriage for Fanny Tomkins and William Jones in 1864 but it was in Liverpool and I'm not convinced it's the right one.
I also need to start looking for ancestors of William, so if you are able to help me in any way, I would be really grateful.
If you need anything looking up in Liverpool give me a shout.
Thanks again
Viv :) :) :)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 06 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Lloydy,
Just wondered if you still have access to 1861 census for Shropshire (Oswestry), I found Richard Jones living with his mother in Willow Street and can't make out place of birth for his mother Elizabeth, it looks like NK to me, have you any suggestions to what it could be.
Any help would be appreciated
Viv

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 April 06 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Viv

I've had a look at the image for Richard and his family, and it does say NK which means "Not Known".  Not a lot of help to you, is it ??? :(

Jan

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 06 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that anyway, I think we found her on earlier censuses which has cleared things up a bit.
I've gone back to 1841 and the family were at Willow Street on every census so it seems pretty conclusive, althought he amount of Jones' is amazing.
Richard was always known as Richard but on one of his daughters marriage certs he was listed as William Richard which threw a bit of a spanner in the works.
Everything seems to be falling into place now, although I would be interested to know if the family had some kind of business in Willow Street 'cos they stayed there for so long.
All my others have moved round and were never in the same place on consecutive censuses.
Any chance of your Jones' being connected with mine, abit of a long shot though, I suppose!
Anyway, thanks again.
Viv

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 06 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Viv

My Jones were all born, bred, married and died in Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire, so have been quite easy to find (thank goodness!!).  Do you have any connection with that town?

Have you tried the Trade Directories to check whether your Jones did indeed have a business at Willow Street? 

Try this site http://www.historicaldirectories.org/ - it might help.

Jan

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 April 06 22:09 BST (UK) »
Not yet, but you never know.
We've done really well today, through both the Jones and Tomkins sides. Will have a look at the website you mention.
Just gonna put a message on Shropshire board to try and find which churches were at Middleton Scriven in 1830's.
Thanks for all your help Jan
Viv