Author Topic: miller/paterson family  (Read 1695 times)

Offline parky96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
miller/paterson family
« on: Saturday 19 May 07 16:44 BST (UK) »
i have been looking on scotlands people for the dates when my  gt grandparents died unfortunately i am not having much luck.
DETAILS;john miller b1883(PLACE UNKNOWN)farm lab. address at marriage in 1907 4 queens street govan glasgow parents robert and agnes(nee johnstone)occ.dock lab.
- elizabeth paterson b1879? kirk patrick fleming farm worker address at marriage laisthat? ruthswell.mother joan paterson(father unknown)married at mange ruthswell 1-11-1907
all i know is they were farmers so they moved about a lot from farm to farm.my father was born 1935 and they were both alive then as he can remember them but only just.
would someone be kind enough to have a look for me in case i have just overlooked something many thanks if you can. ???
roast-west ham,essex
kewin-isle of man,barrow in furness
cumberbatch-barrow in furness
brown-isle of man,barrow in furness
paterson-dumfries
Park-cumbria
Paisley-cumbria

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: miller/paterson family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi parky96,

Try looking up the following to see if the listed John Miller below is your great Grandfather.

Death Record at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Death Year:1955
Name: MILLER JOHN     
Sex: M
Age at Death: 71
GROS DATA: 813/00 0003

If he is, the death certificate should reveal whether his wife (your great grandmother) was still alive then.

Good luck,

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline parky96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
thanks for that kojak dont know what i was doing wrong but i just couldnt seem to find anything.i have now ordered that cert so i certainly hope its the right one.
thanks again best wishes :)
roast-west ham,essex
paterson-dumfries
Park-cumbria
Paisley-cumbria

Offline parky96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 07 20:55 BST (UK) »
i have just received this cert and i dont think that it is the right john miller as his parents names dont match with what is on his marriage cert.does anyone have any other suggestions?
roast-west ham,essex
paterson-dumfries
Park-cumbria
Paisley-cumbria

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 June 07 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Parky

There is no death showing on Scotlands People for an Elizabeth Paterson Millar (well, only one in 1918, and she is not the right one) with a +/-10 yrs either side of 1883. I searched using wild cards everywhere (El* Pat*erson Mil*r) and still no joy. Two possibilites to consider, she may have died in England or lived past 1956.

In respect of John Millar, this looks to be his 1891 census entry with family, where he shows a Torthorwald birth place:

Robert Millar    30, Surfaceman, b. Dfs, Diuscore
Agnes Millar    30, b. Hollywood
Jane Millar    11, b. Torthorwald
George Millar    9, b. Dfs, Diuscore
John Millar    7, b. Torthorwald
Robert Millar    3, b. Torthorwald

Address: Gasstown Green, Dumfries

One way for you to try and narrow down dates for their deaths (John and Elizabeth) if you know the names of their children is to look for their marriages. If any children married before 1931, their certificates will be available to view on line on Scotlands People. The information contained would include whether their parents were alive or deceased at the time of their marriages.

You did say your father born in 1935 remember them so this might not help  :-\

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline parky96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 June 07 10:56 BST (UK) »
hi monica,
               thanks for the help.i have just found out from my father that his grandfather(john miller)died approx. 1955/6 in scotland so his grandmother must have died after this i think.perhaps the reason that i was having problems finding any of the family was because i was only searching for miller i never thought about millar.really appreciate the hints you have given me will continue to search for more info now thanks again best wishes
              parky96 :D
roast-west ham,essex
paterson-dumfries
Park-cumbria
Paisley-cumbria