Author Topic: Cant, Morayshire  (Read 3783 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Cant, Morayshire
« on: Saturday 19 May 07 17:57 BST (UK) »
Any information at all please about the Cant family from Chapelton Moss. Near Forres.I believe my gt grandmother Margaret Cant left behind a daughter Mary when she came to England. Mary went on to have 3 daughters in the Moray union Workhouse. Jessie Cant 1910- Jeannie 1912 and Alice 1914. Did Mary or any of her girls marry? does anyone know what became of them?  Margarets aunt Mary Cant also had several illegitimate children. One, Charles Cant became Charles Kerr he was born 1869 and Kerr was his fathers name. He was living in Dyke . Marys other children were Alexander Gorden Cant b 1860.George McGillivary Cant b 1863, Mary Ann Newlands Cant b 1874 and James Cant b1879. She also had a daughter Jessie Ann Cant b 1875 and she married James McKenzie. Any help at all please with any of the Cants.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Cant, Morayshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
Alexander Cant, son of William Cant and Elizabeth Gordon Fraser, was born at Chapelton Moss on 4 November 1878. He married a distant relative of mine, Jane Sim, on 7 November 1917 in Elgin, and had a daughter and a son. I have more details on this family - if you can import a GEDCOM send me a PM with your real e-mail address and I'll send you what I have.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 07 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi ,I have a very good Cant family tree including the Family of Alexander. I have his mother as Elizabeth Garden Fraser though b 10 Jan 1839.Williams grandfather was John Cant b 28 Dec 1805 and he was brother to my gt gt grandfather Alexander Cant b 1808.It was all the illegitimate children of this Alexanders daughters I was interested in and what happened to them. My great grandmother Margaret Cant seems to have left behind a daughter Mary when she came to England and married in 1892. It is a very confusing family...as I suppose are all families!
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Laurasmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 21 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Gordon Cant, first son of Mary Cant, was born in 1860 and moved to upper Cabrach at 9 years old and was brought up by his uncle, then moved to Pyke Lower Cabrach then finally to Oldtown Lower Cabrach where he had a son before marriage who moved to Canada and then another son named John Gordon and a daughter Charlotte Gordon. John Gordon is my great grand father and my grandfather is also John Gordon of Oldtown Lower Cabrach and has given me all this information. He has lots more information and is 94 years young.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 November 21 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Laura, welcome to the RootsChat boards and thank you for getting in touch.
I have John Rattray Gordon in my tree born 1927 in Cabrach. The son of John Gordon (1887-1963) and Margaret Rattray, is this correct? John Rattray Gordon is my 3C1R and his son John would be my 4th cousin. I come down through Mary Cant's sister Margaret Cant (1849-1936)and her illegitimate daughter another Margaret Cant (1866-1930) she was my great grandma.