Author Topic: HOSE, Ayrshire, All dates  (Read 8962 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
HOSE, Ayrshire, All dates
« on: Sunday 05 December 04 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I have collected all occurrences of this name in Ayrshire that I can find.

The name traces back to a James MICKLEHOSE who married in Sorn, Ayrshire in 1785 - I have not been able to find his origins.

Most of his descendants have the name as HOSE though a few retained a "Mc" version (e.g. MCLEHOSE).

I would be happy to provide, receive and share information.

Judy

Offline JeanBone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HOSE, Ayrshire, All dates
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 07 21:26 BST (UK) »
I have an Isabella Hose nee Duff married to Andrew Hose 22nd November 1819. I'm particularly interested in any connection to the Bone family from Dalrymple Ayrshire. Isabella had a son Quinten Bone.

Regards

Jean Bone

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 October 07 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,

A reply to my post after all this time!

Yes, I have Isabella (DUFF) HOSE and Quinton/Quintin BONE on my database.  Unfortunately, of course, Quinton is not from the HOSE line.

I haven't worked on the Ayrshire HOSE/MCLEHOSE people for quite a while so will have to refresh my memory.

Isabella DUFF, as you no doubt know, was a daughter of Thomas DUFF and Isabel MUCKLE.
She was born ca 1799 (from age in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses) and died in Dalrymple 8 Dec 1862.
As you say, Isabella and Andrew HOSE were married 22 Nov 1819.

Their children were:
*Andrew HOSE 1818, m Ann WOODBURN 1846, d 1888 in Dalrymple, Ayrshire
*Agnes HOASE 1820
*Jane HOSE 1822, m Andrew FRASER 1846, she d 1866 in Hamilton, Lanarkshire
*James HOSE 1824
*Thomas HOSE 1827, m Jane MCREATH (they ended up in Camperdown, Victoria)
*William HOSE 1831, m Jent MCLURE 1849, he d 1882 in Stoer, Sutherland
*John HOSE 1833, m Margret WILSON 1864 (they ended up in Camperdown, Victoria), he d 1910
*Isabella HOSE 1836, m John MCCRACKEN 1856, she d 1914 in Alloway, Ayr

After Andrew's death, Isabella had a son:
*Quintin BONE - I don't seem to have a formal record of his birth/baptism (not really relevant to my HOSE interests).
He migrated to Australia and married Sarah Jane KEE in 1867.  They had several children in Camperdown, Vic.  He died 1918.

I presume you have all the information about Quinton and his descendants in Camperdown, Victoria.

Isabella DUFF's husband, Andrew HOSE, was - I am confident - a son of James MICKLEHOSE & Janet GIBB who married in Sorn, Ayrshire 28 Jun 1785; unfortunately I can't prove it.  I'll list what I think is Andrew's family in a separate post - possibly of no interest to you but if it's here someone might be Googling and come across it.

BONE is not part of my one-name Ayrshire HOSE interest but here are the few Ayrshire records I have.

*William BONE m Jean DUFF (probably the sister of Isabella DUFF) 31 Aug 1810, Dalrymple

*John BONE, a weaver, had several children (see 1851 Dalmellington census).  One of them, also John BONE, m Mary HOSE (a daughter of James HOSE & Agnes GEMMEL) in Dalmellington in 1840.  John BONE & Mary HOSE had several children - John 1839, James 1841, Mary 1843, Agnes 1844, Janet 1846, Hugh 1849, Margaret 1853.  John BONE (husband of Mary HOSE) died ca 1853.

*James BONE HOSE was b 1847 in Dalmellington.  The OPR lists him as the illegitimate son of James HOSE (James was a son of James HOSE & Agnes GEMMEL) and BONE (no forename given).
The father James m Mary SMELLIE 1850.  They and their children William & Agnes migrated to South Australia in 1854 - leaving James's illegitimate child James with Grandma Agnes (GEMMEL) HOSE.  They had two further children in SA; James d 1894 in Donald, Vic.

Regards,

JAP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 October 07 02:34 BST (UK) »
As I said, Isabella DUFF's husband, Andrew HOSE, was - I am confident - a son of James MICKLEHOSE & Janet GIBB who married in Sorn, Ayrshire 28 Jun 1785; unfortunately I can't prove it.

I don't know where James came from.  At that time, the 'MICKLEHOSE' name (however spelled) was mainly in Glasgow and in Stirlingshire.  There weren't any HOSEs or 'McHOSEs' in Ayrshire before this marriage.  And the children (some proven, some not) of James & Janet are the only ones around for the next few years.

I have wondered whether the following might be James - Straiton, "Hose James, an aged person in the village of Patna died on the 29th April 1836".

The children of James & Janet were (surnames as at first formal record I have):
*Elizabeth MUCKLE-HOSE b 14 Oct 1785, Auchinleck Ayrshire (parents listed as James MUCKLE-HOSE and Janet GIBB); she m (as MCILHOSE) James HARVY/HARVIE in 1804; she d 1866 at Patna Mill, Straiton, no parental details.

*James HOSE say 1789.
The first record I have of James is when he married Agnes GEMMEL in 1816.  The Dalmellington record gives his name as HOSE and the Straiton record has it as M'ILHOASE.  He appears in the 1841 census but died before the 1851 census where his wife is a widow.  A son of his, Thomas (b 1837 as HOSE) married as MACLEHOSE and retained this spelling.

*Andrew HOSE say 1791
The first record I have of Andrew (it is as HOSE) is the birth of his pre-nuptial son with Isabella DUFF in 1818 in Dalrymple.  He then was a party to Banns with Marion MCBLANE in April 1819 but they did not marry.  He then married Isabella in November 1819.  He died in 1838.
However, there are a couple of earlier records, one or both of which might well involve the same man.
- An Andrew MCILHOUSE & a Marion MCGINNIES had an illegitimate daughter Margaret in Ayr, Ayrshire in 1814.
- A Janet HOSE was born ca 1817-1821 in Straiton, Ayrshire (from censuses).  The first record I have of her is when (as HOSE) she married Robert MCBLAIN in Straiton in 1836.  Presumably Robert died.  She then married (as MCILHOSE) a John SLOAN.  She died in Tarbolton Ayrshire in 1892.  On her death certificate, her parents are listed as Andrew HOES, ploughman (very likely the Andrew who married Isabella DUFF?) and Mary PORTEOUS, both deceased.

*Jean HOASE b ca 1793.  The first record I have of her is when (as HOASE) she married David RAMSAY in Straiton in 1811; she died in Straiton in 1854.

*Margaret MEIKLEHOSE bap 7 Mar 1795 (father listed as James, no mother listed).  She married (as MCILHOSE) a David HOLDIN 26 Jun 1817 (the OPR also has an entry with Margaret as HOSE - this has been scored through).  She is recorded as HOASE at the birth of her children.  She may have migrated to America.

*George HOSE
*John HOSE
Twins, father James HOSE, no mother listed, born 12 May 1799; I presume they did not survive.

*Thomas MCILHOSE b ca 1800, Auchinleck (from censuses).  He married Elizabeth TURNER in 1829; their children were recorded as MCILHOSE or MCLEHOSE.  He d 1878 in Auchinleck, parents listed as James MCILHOSE, pit labourer, & Janet GIBB, both deceased.

*John MCILHOASE (parents James M'ILHOSE & Janet GIBB) b 13 Oct 1804 at Straiton.  John (as HOSE) m Janet BLANE 1828 in Dalrymple.  He d (as HOSE) at Mill of Patna, Straiton in 1867, parents listed as James HOSE, pitsheadman, and Janet GIBB, both deceased.  A grandson of his, James (1861-1944), born as HOSE, married as MCLEHOSE and retained that spelling.

JAP

Offline JeanBone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 07 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jap
I have all the information re Quinton Bone and Sarah Jane Key/Kee and the and the birth details for Quinton son of Isabella Duff, from the death certificate his father's name was also Quinton Bone but so far no details of the father's birth or death etc as Quinton/Quintin seems to be a common name for the family.

Quinton Bone, son of Isabella died 14th August of heart failure at Camperdown Victoria there was also an obituary in one of the Melbourne papers for him.

From the census Isabella never married after Andrew's death which has confirmed what was initially thought when no marriage could be found for Isabella and Quinton.

Thanks for the other information on the Bones, hopefully I will be able to piece it all together and link them up.

Regards
Jean

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 07 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hello again Jean,

Do you have any information about Isabella's son Quintin BONE which might give any further clues to his father?

Cheers,

JAP

Offline JeanBone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 October 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jap
I did a search yesterday for a Quintin Bone on family search and came up with a Quintin Bone brn 14 Feb 1799 (assuming that that Quintin was of a similar age to Isabella) who parents are Quintine Bone and Margaret Gregg of Ayr Scotland when I checked the film details the record came from it had Dalrymple Ayr Scotland. If this is Quintins father then he has a half brother Samuel. I'm going to order the film and see what else is on it.

Also Quintins childrens names are Thomas George, Robert William, William, Quinton, John Dawson Johnston, James, Alexander Colin, Donald Stewart, Sarah Arabella, Archie Cecil, Henry Albert, Andrew Ernest.

According to the shipping records Quintin was 19 when he came to Australia via South Australia but the copy of the records I have don't show any other Bone's coming on the same ship but I will also re-check the other ships and see what I can find there as well.

I was also sent a copy of a record from south australia which I haven't been able to identify what it is a record of which has the names list under Bone - Elizabeth, Isabella Maud, Jane,  Jno Dawson Johnston and Quinton and it also has 2 Sarah Jane Kee on it from Camperdown one aged 16 and another aged 19, initially I thought it may have been a census record as it is hand written but there is not enough information to be sure.

All the census show Quinton as being with his mother at the time they were taken so that isn't really giving me any clues either.

Regards
Jean

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 07 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hello again Jean,

Yes, I have Quintin in the 1841 and 1851 censuses with Isabella.
And his birthdate as 18 May 1843 (from Derek Flockhart's website) - but no idea where that came from; his birth/baptism doesn't seem to be in the IGI or on ScotlandsPeople (under BONE, HOSE or DUFF).

It does seem likely that Quintin would have been named for his father.  Perhaps a search in the 1841/1851 censuses for a Quintin BONE living near Isabella might be worthwhile ...

I have 11 of the 12 children of Quintin & Sarah you list - but I don't have the other one (i.e. I don't have a separate William).

Re the record from South Australia to which you refer.
I haven't ever used SA records but perhaps you could post a query on the Emigrants to Australia board?  Lots of people seem to know about, and have, SA records.

Regards,

JAP

Offline JeanBone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 October 07 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jap
Just to update on Quintin Bone
I found on another site my Quintin Bone and his mother Isabella Hose, on the site it states that Quintins sister in law is Jean Duff sister to Isabella Hose, if that is correct then William Bone is the son of William Bone and Janet Muir. 
On the death cert for Quintin Bone is states his father was Quintin Bone but if the above is correct then it was clear the family weren't sure of the correct fathers name.

I'll be checking the OPR's on Thursday so hopefully the information is correct.

regards
Jean