Author Topic: HOSE, Ayrshire, All dates  (Read 8963 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOSE, Ayrshire, All dates
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 October 07 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Jean,

What site was that?  And what was the source of the information?  Reliable?  Or muddled?

As I said above, a William BONE married a Jean DUFF (probably Isabella's sister) in 1810 in Dalrymple.  This is the only marriage of William BONE/Jean DUFF in the IGI.

Isabella's parents (from her death cert) were Thomas DUFF & Isabella MEIKLE (their marriage is in the IGI in 1785 in Ayr (with the bride as Isobel MICKLE) and in Dalrymple (with the bride as Isabel MUCKLE).  Isabella's birth is not on the IGI but there are the following children (all Dalrymple) to Thomas and Isabel/Isabell MUCKLE - Jean DUFF bap 1788, Janet DUFF bap 1791, Margret Henderson DUFF bap 1796, Mary DUFF bap 1801, and Sarah DUFF bap 1804.  There is also an LDS submission for a John DUFF 1807.

So Jean (DUFF) BONE should be Aunt (not sister-in-law) to Isabella's illegitimate son Quintin.

JAP 

Offline JeanBone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 October 07 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Jap

The website was a family one that I found from a google search, they had a lot of census information which corresponded with what I had already found and fortunately a link to email the owner which I have done to ask  how they came to the conclusion re Quintin.
The website seemed to be well laid out and easy to read with a lot of information for each person but you never know these sites some people just take a guess and hope it's right without carefully checking the information.

If William Bone is Quintins half brother then it would make Jean Duff his sister in law as well as his aunt. This family is so confusing but hopefully my trip to the LDS will help sort things out.

Jean

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 October 07 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Jean,

If you found it by Googling, it presumably is public and so there would be no problem about posting the URL  :)

JAP

Offline JeanBone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 October 07 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Jap
I wasn't sure about if it was OK to post a link to a family website or not which is why I didn't post it in my early reply

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/derek2000/tree/main/Bnames.htm#bone

I hope I've done the link properly,this gives you all the Bone enteries including details of the descendency from Quinton Bone & Sarah Jane Kee which I already have and have proved to be correct from certificates etc. so hopefully the rest is too but that's a wait and see at this point.

Jean

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 October 07 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Jean,

I'm sure that the RootsChat admin has no worries about us giving links to public Web sites.  Things they don't like are mentions of recent people, or posting of email addresses.

Yes, I know that Web site.  And was in email contact with Derek some years back.  I don't think it's been updated for quite a while.  It's a wonderful site but there are (as one would expect with any genealogical website and especially with one which has such an extensive wealth of information) just a few errors and omissions.  There is heaps of wonderful information and I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely.

I came to it years back by Googling for all variants (then known to me) of the MCLAUSE/MCILHOSE name.  'Meiklehose' found Thomas Meiklehose FRASER on Derek's site - Thomas a grandson of Andrew HOSE & Isabella DUFF through their daughter Jane.  Jane herself was recorded as HOSE at her baptism in Dalrymple in 1822.  But subsequently she was found under all sorts of surnames e.g. from the IGI you can see this at her marriage in 1846 (HOWATT) and at births of those of the FRASER children who are in the IGI as follows: John  1855 (HOWITS), Helen Dykes 1857 (HOWETTS), Thomas Meiklehose 1859 (MEIKLEHOSE), Jane Hamilton 1861 (MEIKLEHOSE), William 1863 (HOWES)!!  Derek found Jane in a census as blind or deaf & dumb; he thought the various surnames came about because she probably was deaf (and, I suppose, may have not spoken clearly - not to mention a possible accent).

Derek had dreamed up an ingenious explanation for MEIKLEHOSE - he thought it had come from a combination of Andrew's surname HOSE and Isabella's surname MUCKLE/MEIKLE.  Very clever - but not correct I'm sure as you'll see from my earlier posts.  I let him know but the site hasn't been updated since that time.

Why there is that weird reference to Quintin BONE as "Isabella's sister Jean's brother in law" near the bottom of the following page:
http://home.comcast.net/~derek2000/tree/ggg_gp/isdu17xx.htm
under the name of a descendant I can't imagine.
It's surely not correct.

All the best,

JAP
PS: An email address for that descendant is given on the following Ticonderoga page:
http://ruzoz.customer.netspace.net.au/Ticonderoga_4.htm
Whether it is current now, who knows ...