Author Topic: Major R.F.Craster,marriage to Mary McAllum,Deoli,Rajputena.  (Read 4020 times)

Offline gereon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Major R.F.Craster,marriage to Mary McAllum,Deoli,Rajputena.
« on: Sunday 20 May 07 01:04 BST (UK) »
Searching for any information about Major R.F.Craster,youngest son of Major Craster,who married,Mary McAllum,second daughter of Harold and Harriet McAllum of Inglewood N.Z,2nd Feb 1937 at Deoli,Rajputena India.According to Life Magazine,19th April 1937,they rode to the church to be wed on an elephant.Major R.F.Craster was in charge of a detention camp for terrorists.Any help with these names,greatly appreciated.Gereon.  :) :) :)
,McAllum,Argyll.McAllum, Newcastle.Donkin,Newcastle.McKechnie,Auckland.Bainbridge,Newcastle.Fenwick,Featherstone,Muschamp,Little,Craster Northumberland.Livingstone,Inverness.

Offline OldBraggs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Major R.F.Craster,marriage to Mary McAllum,Deoli,Rajputena.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 07 17:33 BST (UK) »
Lieutenant-Colonel Reginald Fenwick Craster, OBE
Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant 22 February 1916
Lieutenant 22 February 1917
Appointed Indian Army 5 May 1917 - 39th Gharwal Rifles
Passed military exam in Hindustani language
Attached 1/6th Hampshire Regiment (in India: on probabtion for the Indian Army)
Captain 1/18th Royal Gharwal Rifles - March 1924
1929 - 1934  ADC to the Governor of Madras 
Retired 13 June 1935 (joined Indian Regular Reserve of Officers)
Major - March 1940
Commandant Deoli Internment Camp (Lieutenant-Colonel)
OBE 1945
died October 1955
Buried Sutton Cemetery, Surrey

Steve
Cheltenham. The Gloucestershire Regiment.
Military History. Medal collector.

Offline fordy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 07 20:00 BST (UK) »
Searching for any information about Major R.F.Craster,youngest son of Major Craster,who married,Mary McAllum,second daughter of Harold and Harriet McAllum of Inglewood N.Z,2nd Feb 1937 at Deoli,Rajputena India.According to Life Magazine,19th April 1937,they rode to the church to be wed on an elephant.Major R.F.Craster was in charge of a detention camp for terrorists.Any help with these names,greatly appreciated.Gereon.  :) :) :)

I imagine this chap is of the Craster family of Northumberland.  The other clue is that Fenwick is a village nearby, close  to Holy Island and the Craster family built most of the village of Craster... or did you know this?
If he is part of this family I imagine his history wouldn't be too hard to trace...

Craster:
"The village owes its name to the Craster family, the first mention of the family is reference to William de Craucetr holding the estate in 1272. Craster Tower, listed in a survey of forts carried out in 1415, is a strong rectangular stone 15th century tower, of two storeys with a vaulted basement. The present building has been little changed since that date.

It was the Craster family who built the present village harbour in 1906 in memory of Captain Craster who was killed on active service in India in 1904."

David.

Offline OldBraggs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 07 21:25 BST (UK) »
Captain John Charles Pulleine Craster, 46th Punjabis, was in fact killed at Tsechen 28th June 1904 during the Tibet Campaign.

Steve

Offline fordy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 07 22:34 BST (UK) »
I have some photos of the plaque on the harbour wall somewhere but can't find them at the moment.
There is one on Flickr which is better than any I have taken anyway!

Image has been removed from Flickr

Offline gereon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 May 07 00:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Fordy for the link to the photo of the commemerative plaque,and also David thanks for the interesting information about the history of Craster village and the harbour.Steve,what a wealth of information about Major R F Craster.I dont understand the October 1922 death.I have tried to find an obit online but I have had no success to date.Once again,thank you for your time and interest.Gereon. :) :) :) :)
,McAllum,Argyll.McAllum, Newcastle.Donkin,Newcastle.McKechnie,Auckland.Bainbridge,Newcastle.Fenwick,Featherstone,Muschamp,Little,Craster Northumberland.Livingstone,Inverness.

Offline OldBraggs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 May 07 06:55 BST (UK) »
Gereon,
Sorry about that, too many dates floating around in my head at once.
He died in 1955.

Steve

Offline gereon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 07 08:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve,I understand completely. ;D.Could you suggest a site that may have his obituary,or death notice?Gereon. :)

Offline fordy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 May 07 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve,I understand completely. ;D.Could you suggest a site that may have his obituary,or death notice?Gereon. :)

You could try the Gazette

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk

Plenty of hits for "Craster"

David