Author Topic: Harriet Bickley  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Claire Fraser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Harriet Bickley
« on: Tuesday 22 May 07 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Harriet is my grandfather's sister.  She was born in 1893 in Wolverhampton and moved, with the family, to Newport, Mon. in the early 1900's.  I have been unable to find any records of her marriage(s) - apparently she was married three times.  Her first husband was (according to family oral history) a Russian and they had three children - Rita (or Raskie), Miriam and Dina.  I know nothing at all about her second husband but her third husband was Arthur Simpkin by whom she had at least two children - Douglas and Sidney.  She died in 1976 in Brighton.  I would dearly love to find out more about her and wonder if anyone can help.

Claire

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Bickley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 23:50 BST (UK) »
There is a death reg
Oct 2003
Brighton
Douglas Gordon Simpkin
age 78
born 10 may 1925
C12B 199

If you think this is son Douglas, then his birth should give you somewhere to start.
You can search the complete indexes at Ancestry- free

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Claire Fraser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Suz - this gives me somewhere to start and maybe I can work backwards.

Claire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

It doesn't quite fit with the story as you know it, but there is a little tribe of children surname ELKINGTON and mother's maiden name BICKLEY born on Newport, Monmouthshire 1912 onwards.

Arthur 1918, Doris M 1914, Ernest C 1912, John 1918 and Walter H 1916 (John and Arthur possibly twins?)

I wonder if they are related in some way?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Claire Fraser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 May 07 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Although I know there were more Bickley's in Newport other than our family I haven't established a connection yet.  However, I don't know Harriet's second husband's name so there may even be a connection there.  Do you have any further details?  I'll have a look on the marriages register and see if I can track the Elkington/Bickley marriage down.  Thanks very much for the info. :)

Claire

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 May 07 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi - There is a Harriet O Bickley who is married in 1911, Walsall, several other Walsall Bickley's married in the same qtr, and one in  Wolverhampton.   Dec Qtr 6a 1471 Walsall.

fred

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 May 07 10:32 BST (UK) »
Messing about on FreeBMD and found this birth in Cardiff

Dinah Miriam Wolkind  born 1910, 11a 409 Cardiff (close to Newport, both ports, plenty of Russian sailors

probably a complete red herring, but this is probably the type of search you will have to do

Offline Claire Fraser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 May 07 13:21 BST (UK) »
thanks for the info - unfortunately, as you suspected, a deadend.

Claire

Offline Claire Fraser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 May 07 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

I've come across Harriet O Bickley before.  To rule her out I got my Harriet's birth certificate and she definitely has no middle name.

Thanks for your help.

Claire