Author Topic: Barracks Family Life  (Read 7301 times)

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barracks Family Life
« on: Wednesday 23 May 07 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My great-grandfather, a Colour Sergeant with the Royal Irish Fusiliers, was based in Cavan after he served in Egypt, India, and England.

He and my great-grandmother lived in the Barracks with their first daughter when their second daughter was born.

I'm looking for information about the lives and living conditions during that period of 1890-1898.  Are there articles or other materials that could help me with this?  I suppose most barracks had similar living conditions, so any information on that period would be appreciated.

Regards,   Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: Barracks Family Life
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 13:47 BST (UK) »
Wolfe Tone Street
Wolfe Tone Street on the Barrack Hill was named in 1922 after Theobald Wolfe Tone.
The Barrack Hill was the location of the Military Barracks and in Pigots Directory 1824 was described as thus “on a dirty hill, adjoining the town, is an old and illlooking barrack in which two companies of infantry are generally stationed.
The earliest document relating to the acquisition of the site of Cavan Military Barracks in the possession of the Office of Public Works, is a Conveyance dated May 5 1710. The site referred to therein was presumably that located at Barrack Hill. Lewis Topographical Directory of Ireland 1837 described the barracks as “infantry barracks capable of accommodating 6 officers and 130 non-commissioned officers and privates.
According to Griffiths Valuation of Ireland 1857, the Board of Ordnance was then the lessor of infantry barracks and yard situated at Barrack Hill in the town of Cavan

taken from Breffni Blue  2003

Best wishes

Mo

http://www.irelandforvisitors.com/articles/cavan.htm
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 14:07 BST (UK) »
Mo,

Thanks for the information about the barracks location.

Can you tell me if there might be old newspapers in which living conditions may be mentioned?  I've been searching, but found none on line.

Regards,    Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 19:32 BST (UK) »
I am not sure Adee... it may be worth your while getting in touch with the dept of defence history section, they may be able to put you in touch with someone that would be more of an expert.

Officer Commanding Military Archives,
Cathal Brugha Bks,
Rathmines,
Dublin 6.
Ireland

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I was hoping there might be some items where servicemen or their family members were interviewed.

I'll follow up on your idea.

Regards,   Kathleen

Offline noelie25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 January 09 16:15 GMT (UK) »
What was the name of your relitave. I am looking for information on a Colour Sergeant William Wallace who came from Cavan and was in 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers. I have traced him to Waterford Barracks in 1894. He went to fight in Boar War. I have been unable to find out where in Cavan he came from.

Regards

Noel

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 January 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noel,    :)

The name is George Goff.  He was born in Hampshire, enlisted at Aldershot, and retired to Belfast.

How much information do you have?  Do you know if he retired in Cavan or Belfast?

The information in this link     

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,229492.0.html     
may be helpful.  If you need the address of the contact person for this please let me know.

Kathleen

Offline noelie25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 January 09 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen.
Many thanks for reply. Col/Sgt William Wallace was married to my great aunt Elizabeth. Family folklore had it that he fought in Boar War. Just before Christmas I found out that he was indeed there. He was married in Athlone in Feb. 1892. By late 1892 they had moved to Waterford Barracks  where his first daughter Mary was born. Elizabeth died after giving birth to second child Ethel in 1894. The children were supposed to have been placed in an orphanage when he went to fight in Boar War. I found her grave after eight months of searching in Waterford in 2001. Sadly his marriage cert only lists his parents as coming from Co. Cavan. One day I hope to strike it lucky and find out what happened to his Children.

Regards

Noel

Offline Kamilla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:11 GMT (UK) »
You may find some information regarding Barrack Life in the litrature re Elise Sands. She was the founder of Sands Homes from about 1860s until after the 2nd World War. 
Her Homes were associated with soldiers welfare during the period you mention. Barrack life and conditions were the catalist for her work. She was awarded the CBE and died in Co Down in 1934 with full military honours.
Also:
Military Archieves Cathal Brugha Barracks Dublin.
M.H.Jeffery. Still My Vision (Belfast 1968) First published as The Trumpet Call, Obey.