Author Topic: Whitford look up please  (Read 3175 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Whitford look up please
« on: Wednesday 23 May 07 20:40 BST (UK) »
I've found a marriage licence for John CARINGTON & Hanna JONES Jan 7, 1719 either Halkyn or Whitford.   Have not found a record of the marriage in the Clwyd FHS transcripts for Halkyn.  If anyone has access to the Whitford marriages for 1719 I would be grateful for a look up.

Thanks
Hiraeth
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Whitford look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello hiraeth.
Couldn't see their marriage in Halkyn or Whitford.

Paul.

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul

Thank you very much for checking it out for me.  Can I ask whether the Whitford records were complete?  The Halkyn ones for the time look like BTs and seem a little sloppy, like some pages might be have been missing  ???

Hiraeth.

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello hiraeth.
Had a look at Halkyn parish registers there is a gap from 1706-1720.
I did ask at the Archives but they don't know why they are missing.
Bad luck missed by just one year.

Paul.

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 May 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul
I really appreciate you re-checking out the PRs for Halkyn.  I've ordered a copy of the bond/licence in the hope that I can find out more about this couple.  I was hoping that they would help me break down a large brickwall for North Wales CARRINGTON research.

Have traced the Halkyn Carrington branch  back to a 1743 marriage in Halkyn, between Francis Carrington and Elizabeth Williams - there are about 150 of them.  The Coedpoeth Carringtons also originate from a 1743 marriage, between a John Carrington and Ann Blunt in Llanarmon yn Ial - there are about 300 desc. on that side.   If we could just get back a generation or two further, I have hunch we will find they are all connected, the question is does this branch connect up in North Wales or is the connection further back.  They were all miners and the Carringtons were one of several families/names that "migrated" over from Derbyshire around 1700 per  Bryn Ellis on the BBC History site for Minera/North Wales.

Other than this marriage bond the only other clue I have, is a submitted entry on the IGI  for a Charles Carrington, son of Edward from 1696 Hawarden.   

If you come across any early (pre 1743) Carringtons  in your travels, I would sure like to hear where you find them.  Because I live overseas, buying up all the early PR transcripts in North Wales from the Clwyd FHS is becoming very expensive.  I have all the Halkyn, Llanarmon yn Ial, Llandegla, and Minera books and saving up for the rest!

Thanks again for your help.

Heather

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 May 07 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather

I know it doesn't take you back but do you have the baptism of Anne Carington (just the one 'r') on 21 Aug 1785 in Treuddyn to parents John & Jane?

John Carrington (back to 2 'r's) was also a witness to the wedding by Banns of William Edwards (widower) otp and Elizabeth Davis (X) Spinster on 5 May 1786 again in Treuddyn.

I thought it might fill a small gap.

Best wishes

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 May 07 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Let me know if there is anywhere in particular you would like me to look before you buy anymore PR's.

Paul.

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 May 07 19:59 BST (UK) »
Paul
Thank you for the offer of help - I will have a think and let you know.   I've been working with the excellent namesfromclwyd site by Jill Rose.  It is very helpful for identifying parishes associated with certain surnames.  Only trouble is Jill is still working her way back through the early registers.

Peterej
Thank you for the location of the baptism of Anne Carington 1785 - one of my "strays".  Her mother was Jane Edwards.

The marriage John CarRington could have been father (c1720) or son (1753 Llanarmon yn Ial).  Have seen the name spelled differently from Carinton, Karington, even Cherington which makes searching for them all even more fun ;D

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Carington/Carrington Update
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 June 07 03:33 BST (UK) »
An Elizabeth Carington died intestate in Halkyn c1739.  Her son and sole heir Francis Carington paid 12 pounds to the Bishop of St. Asaph for some type of bond?  in order to claim her estate.  I'm told this is the equivalent of about one thousand pounds today.  What is most interesting about this is that Francis is described as a yeoman from Youlgreave Derby and he appears to have signed the document along with an Edward Totty or Tatty of Holywell and a William Roberts of Dywithion? Flintshire, both described as gentlemen.    I've also found another document re the Caryngtons of Derbyshire, which states that there are a lot of references to Carringtons in the Parish Registers of Youlgreave between 1560 and 1750 when they apparently died out  The document says a lot of them were lead miners so I think they may have relocated to North Wales, causing them to disappear from the registers in Youlgreave.

Have now received the marriage bond from 1719 for John Carrington, miner of Halkyn, and Hanna Jones, spinster of Whitford.  John signed the document and a Robert Smith, Blacksmith signed on behalf of Hanna.  I'm guessing that maybe a man had to sign on behalf of the lady as her parent or guardian?  Does anyone know much about marriage bonds of that era or can suggest another reason this would have happened?

Have also notice in the Halkyn PR for 1699 there was a baptism for John CHARTON, son of Francis & Elizabeth.   They are the only Charton's in the book.  Does anyone know of any other Chartons in Flintshire??  Maybe it is wishful thinking but I am wondering if the surname could be wrong and that this baptism might be related to the above John and Elizabeth.

If possible Paul, could I ask you please to take a look at the Whitford registers again to see if there is a baptism for Hanna Jones circa 1700 in there?  And also, if there are any children of John & Hanna CARRINGTON or similar name registered in Whitford or Holywell circa 1720 - 1730.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Heather in Vancouver