Author Topic: Replying To Topics  (Read 6644 times)

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Replying To Topics
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 May 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Newfy
 I am not naming names, yes we have worked well together over the last few months. My gripe is not with you, or any one else on here. All I am saying is that some members on here don't give others a fair crack of the whip. I didn't start this topic to cause any arguments on roots, just stating my opinion. As for the time gap between posting ref numbers and transcribing, and someone else posting the whole thing out, dos'nt come into it.  If everyone wrote it out then hit the send button no problem if someone has posted before, as long as its done properly.

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 May 07 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Newfy
 I am not naming names, yes we have worked well together over the last few months. My gripe is not with you, or any one else on here. All I am saying is that some members on here don't give others a fair crack of the whip. I didn't start this topic to cause any arguments on roots, just stating my opinion. As for the time gap between posting ref numbers and transcribing, and someone else posting the whole thing out, dos'nt come into it.  If everyone wrote it out then hit the send button no problem if someone has posted before, as long as its done properly.

ricky

Well said Ricky - I'm very good at saying "I agree"  ;D  ;D

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 May 07 11:01 BST (UK) »
Just caught this thread and think this is a gripe about me this morning 'beating Ricky to a post' -- I can assure you all that was not my intention and have pm'd Ricky to say so. 

I did put the census reference and then 'details following' this morning to show I had found it and would save someone else looking, that was the only reason.  I'm not interested in numbers of posts, or beating someone to a post, just hoping to help people.  I too have often typed everything out only to have the warning that someone else has already posted but that doesn't bother me, just glad it's been found.

However, I take the point, won't do it again
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline judi2632

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 May 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
As there are many new members joining rootschat perhaps it would be possible to have a transcribing format  standard, setting out clearly the information that should be given for all to follow.
I my self on my first lookup for someone failed to enter vital information & was very politely, by the moderator told the correct way to pass on information.

Perhaps one of you old timers could do a simple lay out of the information that needs to be passed on when doing a look up.

I feel this may help all concerned

Judi

Gaskell, Ormskirk, Upholland, Pemberton, Lancashire
Screeton/Screaton, Nottingham
Lomax Suffolk, Lancashire
Ghilks, Mansfield
Jones, Wales
Banham, Norwich
Rothwell, Lancashire
Tinks, Suffolk
Shepherd, Lancashire

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 May 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
When replying to requests for census information I usually post the full details (and am frequently"beaten" by someone else  :) ) but there are circumstances where I don't.
If the enquirer's information is a bit sparse I will often reply saying I think I may have found an entry and give a few details to check I am on the right track.
If it is fairly clear that the enquirer has access to census info but can't find an entry I will frequently just give the reference to help them out.
If there are clearly several people looking for a really difficult entry I will post to say I have found it and will transcribe - this is to save effort, not to gain brownie points.
As to the multiple posts when replying, I sometimes give census info in chunks to save losing my work - particularly if I get called away from my computer.  
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 May 07 11:17 BST (UK) »
If there are clearly several people looking for a really difficult entry I will post to say I have found it and will transcribe - this is to save effort, not to gain brownie points.

Exactly the reason I have done this before, but slapped wrists, won't be doing it again   ::)
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 May 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
The problem is that x number of people read the posting and go off and look - none of these would see a 'Transcribing' message until they came to post. it's only subsequent readers who would see it. Problem is, how do you get around this?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 May 07 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati
If the posting is done fully, I don't have a problem with it, but as Mary A said

Another one was absent "transcribing" and never came back ....... where does this leave the original query?

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 May 07 11:32 BST (UK) »
Agree with JAP and Tati's and Suzards original comments.

Good points Barbara.  :)

Gadget - clicking Refresh would sort out the issue you mention - but I agree its not really what this is all about....  :(

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk