Author Topic: Help Please look up ( I am in shock)  (Read 3525 times)

Offline shana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Please look up ( I am in shock)
« on: Friday 25 May 07 12:46 BST (UK) »
Please can any one help i have just found out my Dad isn't my Dad??
so now i am looking for info on Alexander Farquhar DOB 31/3/1918/19 Death 1976,
his mother was Elizabeth Ann Farquhar DOB 1882 nee Herd . & his first wife was Mary Alice Farquhar DOB 1926 death 1959 i think they were all from Glasgow. this is all i know, don't know the fathers first name
yours hopefully Shana :o

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please look up ( I am in shock)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 07 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Shana,

Have had a look on Scotlands People and cant see a marriage of a Farquhar to an Elizabeth Herd...used the soundex as well.

Your best bet would be to trace Alexanders birth cert as this will give you both parents names. You can only get births up until 1906 online so would need to send off for the cert or go to the records office.

I did a search for an Elizabeth Herd on the 1891 census but there are several so without more names is impossible to say which one is yours.

Good luck

Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 07 13:19 BST (UK) »
Shana,

Meant to say above that if Alexander died in Scotland , his death cert would also give his parents names

Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

Offline shana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 May 07 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Susan
i forgot to say he died in Lancashire england,
& i am hoping to findout his fathers name,& if there where any siblings
I know it is a long shot but got to try.
Now Ihave got to start a new tree. Thankyou for your help,I do appreciate it
Shana

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Shana,

Do start with getting the English death certificate first because it will list your father's birthplace and date to help you in identifying a correct birth entry as after 1969 all the death certificates have this information.

Then, use the information off the death certificate to order an actual birth certificate from the Scottish GRO--it will be a bit more than you would spend on the English certificates.

It will tell you his birth date & birthplace and the names of parents and the date of their marriage and the location.

As to finding your parents' marriage, if you have the date of marriage and know where they were married--it should be easy to get their marriage cert. I do not know if your parents got married in Scotland or in England.

SP site only have the entries up to the certain years as set down by the Scottish law.

Hope this help you to get an idea of what you have to do.

Wish you the best of luck and every success in finding the information!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 July 07 23:46 BST (UK) »
use the information off the death certificate to order an actual birth certificate from the Scottish GRO--it will be a bit more than you would spend on the English certificates ....
.... unless you get a helpful person or a professional searcher to  transcribe the certificate for you in New Register House, which would be much cheaper than buying an English certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 July 07 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Thank you for pouring water on my suggestion.

It is not the question of money--since Shana who posted this query was not sure about his birth date--thought it would be most helpful if she were to order the English death certificate as the death took in 1976 which is a good year as the death certificate, since 1969, has the information on birth date and birthplace.

Having a birthplace is most helpful in narrowing the possible births for this person.

I myself shelled out tenner on my grandmum's Scottish birth certificate ages ago before the advent of SP. Her birth year is coming up next year--I will be able to view her birth entry.

I was just being helpful here.

IF Shana was able to find someone who is willing to go to the New Register House or one in Glasgow, great for her.

At this point, I think getting the death certificate is a good start as it will put her in the right direction.

Yours,

Tees

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 July 07 09:13 BST (UK) »
I think getting the death certificate is a good start as it will put her in the right direction.

I agree with you 100% about that. Also about then going for the Scottish birth certificate.

All  was doing was pointing out that there are cheaper ways of getting the information on a Scottish certificate than paying for an official copy.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Do you know any professional Scottish researchers who will transcribe a certificate from NRH for less than 10 pounds (actually an English cert is only 7 pounds so if it is cheaper than that I would be rapt  :)-)  if so can you PM the details - the ones I have found are somewhat more expensive

thanks

Trish

PS Apologies for interrupting your thread Shana - do hope your search goes well
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk