Author Topic: Foreigners in Russia  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Cicero

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foreigners in Russia
« on: Friday 25 May 07 16:26 BST (UK) »
Some of my ancestors lived in St Petersburg, Russia in 19th cent. They were supposed to be "traders". I have come across a reference to an Index made up by Erik Amburger. Has anyone else heard of this?

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Foreigners in Russia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0037-6779(197506)34%3A2%3C384%3AAFZDRB%3E2.0.CO%3B2-H seems to be about it.

The title is "Archivalische Fundstucke zu den Russisch-Deutschen Beziehungen: Erik Amburger zum 65. Geburtstag" which Google translates into "Archivali find stucco to the Russian-German relations: Erik Amburger to 65. Birthday".

This site also seems to be of possible interest - http://www.volgagermans.net/norka/Norka_church_and_religious_life.htm

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 07 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Cicero,

Welcome to RootsChat  :) :)

I tried erik amburger in a search engine and came up with a german site

Archiv Erik Amburger zu Ausländern im vorrevolutionären Russland
http://www.oei-muenchen.de/index.php?id=68

It's in the East European Institute in Munich

There is a list, but it says on the site that this is unavailable online at the moment, so all enquiries have to be per email.
Costs will be 10€ for half an hour research, but if you are in Munich, it costs nothing to look for yourself.

Try erik amburger in an "english speaking" search machine, maybe there are some english language sites too.

Good luck,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 May 07 16:36 BST (UK) »
Archivali find stucco to the Russian-German relations

??? ??? ???

"Archivalische Fundstucke zu den Russisch-Deutschen Beziehungen"

"Archived Findings about the Russian-German relationship" is nearer  :)

Google does it's best, but .....  :-X

Bob

ps, the Munich collection is

Archiv Erik Amburger zu Ausländern im vorrevolutionären Russland
"The E.A. Archives of foreigners in pre-revolutianry Russia"

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 07 16:43 BST (UK) »
http://members.aol.com/zeteticrg/index7.11.htm
This site is also interesting, it mentions some names:

Thomas Wright,
Thornton,
Hubbard
and porcelain and spinning mills

This is ringing some bells:  there was another RootsChat topic about british factories in Eastern Europe
If I can find it, I'll post a link.

Bob

Update:
Found it - sort of - it wasn't Russia, it was Silesia, although some of that was also Russian at some time, so maybe it does fit

Topic: Batley woollen workers, Germany 1880s
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,34233.0.html

Offline Cicero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 May 07 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that. I actually managed to access the List! but no help, I will have to think of something else.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 June 07 00:43 BST (UK) »
Cicero
If it is of any use to you on Family search I.G.I. you can select.Region, Continental Europe. Country, Federation republic, or whatever other country you want. After you have filled the names you are looking for.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Cicero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 June 07 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Celia, I have the BMD records for the family in Russia, what I am trying to find out is what they did & why they went there in the first place.

Cicero

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 16:53 BST (UK) »
St Petersburg was very cosmopolitan in C19th and there were plenty of merchants from England and, I think, especially Scotland there. I imagine they traded in furs, tar/pitch and especially timber and grain, if exporting to Russia. If importing, I imagine it would have been fancier stuff.

What you probably want, if the BMD certs don't help you, is the local equivalent of Kelly's directories. I've seen some trade directories from late Tsarist Russia published in German/French/Russian, so they're not just in the Cyrillic alphabet.

I don't know any good researchers in St Petersburg but Estonian Fred Puss at http://www.isik.ee/english sometimes does research there and may have access to Tsarist Russian directories. He speaks English better than most footballers and is fluent in Russian as well.