Author Topic: Brushmakers: Witham: WILLIAM HALL  (Read 877 times)

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Brushmakers: Witham: WILLIAM HALL
« on: Friday 25 May 07 21:18 BST (UK) »
I thought it would be interesting to reach out to those of you researching or interested in ancestors who were brushmakers.  From what I have read online, these were a very interesting, often itinerant group, who generally stretch the searching capabilities of family historians.  This is a good source of background information:

http://www.brushmakers.com/

I have discovered that my G2-gf William Hall was a brushmaker.  William was born in 1809 in East Harling in Norfolk, s/o William Hall(s) and Ann Wills; and he married Mary Charlwood at St Georges Hanover Square in London in 1827.  Based on the birthplaces of his children, directory entries, and the census records, he appears to have stayed in London until abt 1844, when he moved to Notts Yard, Witham, in Essex.  He appears to have stayed in Witham until at least 1854, at which time his trail goes cold.  Significantly, Witham was one of the stops on the brushmakers' so-called "tramp" circuit.

His wife Mary (Hall) next shows up in 1861 in Paddington, London, recorded as a widow with the younger children -- indicating William died between 1854 and 1861.  But with a name as common as William Hall  ;), I am struggling to find his death record, and I am reluctant to spend a small fortune at the GRO ordering dozens of certificates (alas, no ages at death to narrow things down).  He does not appear to have died in Witham though. 

I would of course be very pleased to find William's death record.  But the main reason for this post is to try to find any other brushmaker researchers who may have come across William Hall or the Charlwood family in their travels around the country (you know what I mean!).

Thanks, rthom
Surname interests: Acfield (Ackfield, Hackfield) - SFK, LON / Adams - BDF / Askham - NHT / Baldrey - SFK / Charlwood - LON / Hall - NFK, ESS, LND / Hemmings (Hemings, Heming) - WAR, OXF, NHT, LON / Hibbert - BRK / Ivey - LON / James - OXF / Manning - NHT / Mason - NHT / Pearson - WAR, NHT / Pizzy - SFK / Polly (Polley) - OXF / Rivers - SFK / Sargeant - WAR, SRY, LON, USA / Simons (Simonds) - BDF / Taylor - NHT / Wiggins - OXF

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.