Author Topic: South Wales Argus photo  (Read 2461 times)

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
South Wales Argus photo
« on: Saturday 26 May 07 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have a photo of what could be the mayor of Newport shaking hands with a lady. On the back is written E.J. Jones 90th birthday Dec 7th 1948 and a stamp saying South Wales Argus. Would the Argus have records going back that far, Phil.
My email address is not working - sorry

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: South Wales Argus photo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 May 07 07:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry, i think i have posted this a while ago, but any response welcome, Phil

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 23:33 BST (UK) »
Newport Reference Library certainly have records of The South Wales Argus covering that period on microfilm.

Normally I would offer to pop in and have a look for you but I'm afraid I'm away for a month.  If you can wait that long then I would be happy to have a look.
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 07 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Denben, sorry ive been away from my computer for a while and missed your reply. Thats a kind offer to look in the library for me. Im in no hurry as my Joneses have hit a bit of a wall. Im hoping she was a spinster and if i could find a christian name rather than just E. J Jones as it says on the back i might be able to link her to John jones born in Llangibby in 1849. On that subject i have just seen an old map with a whole area marked out as Caerleon. Llangibby seems to come into it so maybe if i find a John Jones in Caerleon instead. Why did i have to have a father, grandfather and great grandfather all called John Jones. ???
                                   Thankyou very much once again for your kind offer and as i said im in no hurry, Best wishes, Phil

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 11:57 BST (UK) »
Well I found it - but it might not help.......

From the South Wales Argus, 8th December 1948:

The Mayor of Newport, Alderman T. F. Mooney, extended civic greetings to Mrs E. J. Jones of 67 Morden Road on her 90th birthday.  Mrs Jones was born at Walterstone, Herefordshire and settled in Newport 70 years ago.  She has been a member of Duckpool Road Baptist Church for 60 years.  Her daughter, Mrs P Dier, with whom she lives, is also in the picture.

If there is anything I can do to follow up then let me know.
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 12:15 BST (UK) »
I think I can see her in the 1901 census - would that help?

She is married to William, a carpenter.  In the 1891 they have a daughter with a name starting with "P" - could be Polly?  but this girl has changed to Gertrude by 1901. 

1901 RG13; Piece: 4961; Folio: 105; Page: 10.

William JONES H M 38 - carpenter - Clodock Herefordshire
Eliza J W M 42 - Walterstone Herefordshire
Gertrude E dau 15 - clerk - Maindee Monmouthshire
Alfred W son 13 - do
/
Rachel MILES H U 60 - Llanhennock Mon

Address: 67 Morden Rd, Maindee

1891 RG12; Piece: 4369; Folio 62; Page 8;

William JONES H M 28 - carpenter - Clodock Hereford
Eliza J W M 31 - Walterstone do
Ploy? E dau U 5? - Newport Mon
Alfd Wm son U 2? - Newport Mon
Edwin brother U 22 - painter - Hawcille Herefordsh

Address:67 Albert Avenue, Maindee, Newport

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Edit: census details added
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 July 07 06:57 BST (UK) »
Denben and arranroots, thankyou both very much for your help, especially Denben for taking the time to go to the library for me. Unfortunately its not one of my Joneses but it clears up who my photo is of. My nan(who was born a Phillips but would have been a Jordan by then) lived in Morden rd and now the name Dier has come up i can remember my nan talking about mrs Dier when i was a boy. Thank you both once again, Phil.

Denben, on the subject of Newport Library, would they keep records of local men enlisted into the army in ww2. My father died when i was 7 and i have tried to trace his army record in Burma but to no avail. My older cousin told me my father was at camp with the army cadets and was called up directly from there although he was bearly old enough.

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 July 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
They don't have those records but............................

They have a very comprehensive collection of  'Registers of Electors'.  Alongside this they have a list of 'Absent Voters', men who were away in the forces.  This is a very useful list as it gives their service number, regiment etc. and can be used for further research.

This list is indexed by address so if you give me the address I will have a look.

If you don't want to post it here then send me a PM.