• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: dryden
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 07 22:18 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

would love to help...but...

need a wee bit more info on the family you want to research

1851 census for lochmaben has only 2 dryden's, william and walter.

trying to help

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline lesleyegreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 07 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hello there
I have Drydens from Lochmaben in my tree.
I am a descendent of Herbert Dryden(1754-?) and Sarah Johnstone(?-?) who married in 1779 in Lochmaben. Happy to share my tree if you this is the Dryden you are looking for.
Lesley
Dumfriesshire-Green, Currie, Strong, Beattie, Dryden, Steel, Carmichael, Baird.
Ireland/Lanarkshire- Canavan, McConkey, Hillis
Ayrshire- Lang, Russell, Pollock

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 07 15:28 BST (UK) »
hi lesley,

let me first welcome you to rootschat.

great news for nemisis, that you have valueable info on the dryden family.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 June 10 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Nemisis

Missed you on rootschat.

Thought i should tell you that there was a submitted record in family search which tells you parents that might be your wlater dryden.  (Walter b. 1872 or 1876)

Rotosis
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline Josh P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
I am trying piece together a tree for the Dryden family of Lochmaben, Dumfries, founders of Kinnelbanks Mill (its ruins now a registered historic monument). 
Does anyone have access to Lochmaben's C18th parish registers?
Many thanks.

Offline kiltwithaview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying piece together a tree for the Dryden family of Lochmaben, Dumfries, founders of Kinnelbanks Mill (its ruins now a registered historic monument). 
Does anyone have access to Lochmaben's C18th parish registers?
Many thanks.

Hi, I am one of the family members from the Kinnelbanks Mill in Lochmaben...My name is Stuart Dryden, now living in Canada. I have not visited that mill, however have been to the mills in Dunscore and Moffat. The moffat one goes back to the romans, and my great grandfather ran the Dunscore mill (built in 1300)...my dad is visiting in a few days and will give you names and more info...as well as family photos from the mill if you want...cheers

Offline kiltwithaview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 June 11 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am an ancestor of the Dryden's of Lochmaben, my great grandfather ran the mill in Dunscore, built in 1300 . I have been to both mills and have photos, as well as family pics from the mill

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
DRYDEN in LOCHMABEN
DGFHS -- www.dgfhs.org.uk -- in recent years have published all the Shannon/Gilchrist Annandale graveyard surveys of the 1960s.  I was one of the volunteers involved in the booklet layout and a partial photographic survey of Lochmaben and the neighbouring Applegarth graveyard.
We have recorded four Dryden memorials for Lochmaben and just the one for Applegarth.
[Note that the very similar name BRYDEN, a quite different family, also occurs in this area so care needs to be taken not to confuse the two.]

Lochmaben Old grayeyard  [Graveyard Memorials Survey - 1960s : booklet published by www.dgfhs.org.uk]
1. Erected by Herbert Dryden in Kinnelbank in memory of Walter Dryden mason, his father, died 5th January, 1793 age 62 and Margaret Forrest his spouse died 18th March, 1797 age 70. 
Also Jean Dryden daughter of Herbert Dryden, died 12th March, 1797 age 8 years. 
Also John Dryden son of Herbert Dryden, Assistant Surgeon in the Navy, died on board H.M.S. the Anson, November 1st, 1806

2. Sacred to the memory of Herbert K. Dryden, son of James Dryden Kinnel-banks died August 7, 1822 age 2 years and four months. 
Also Margaret Geddes spouse to James Dryden died 24th November, 1833 age 50 years.

3. In memory of James Dryden, Excise Officer who died at Ecclefechan 12th November, 1792 age 42. 
Also Jannet Dickson his spouse died at Dumfries 2nd June, 1817 age 67 years. 
Also James Dryden, Supervisor of Excise and William Dryden, Surgeon, Royal Navy, their sons. 
Also Jane Dryden their daughter who died October 23rd, 1844 age 71 years.

4. In memory of Mary Jardine spouse to William Dryden who died at Lochmaben 11th April. 1854 age 36 years. 
Also William his son who died 10th March, 1858 age 10 years.
Also above William Dryden, joiner, who died 27th February, 1871 age 52 years.

From Lochmaben Old Parochial Register Burial Records [booklet published 2004  by www.dgfhs.org.uk]
Dryden Jean, dau of Herbert Dryden Kinnelbank Mar 18, 1797
Dryden Margaret (Patten), wife of Walter Lochmaben Apr 2, 1818

Applegarth Grayeyard  [Graveyard Memorials Survey - 1960s : booklet published by www.dgfhs.org.uk]
1. Margaret DRYDEN, 1st spouse to William JARDINE in Milnbank, died 28th October 1808 aged 38 years
Margaret LOCKERBIE, 2nd spouse to the above William JARDINE, died 16th January 1818 aged 27 years
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes