Author Topic: Richard Wilson 1803 Coppull  (Read 7406 times)

Offline judi2632

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Wilson 1803 Coppull
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Yes we did find the parents of Richard Wilson 1803 he was the Illegitimate child born to Ann Wilson and John Berril.

In the national archives there is a Bastardy order made against the father John Berril for the maintenance of the  child Richard Wilson
Details as follows

Ann Wilson  gave birth to a bastard son Richard Wilson  in Sept 1803, he was baptised in Wrightington , St Josephs, 3rd Oct 1803, later in 1804 there was a Poor Order which states as follows

...by the Overseers of the Poor of the of the Township of Coppull, in the said Parish, that Ann Wilson of the said Township, Single-woman, was about forty three weeks ago delivered of a male Bastard Child, in the same Township, which is since christened by the name of Richard, and is now alive and chargeable to the said township, and likely to continue....

... this Day taken upon Oath before us the said Justices, deposed and declared, that she was delivered of such Bastard Child as aforesaid, and that John Berril of Blackburn in the said County Chapman is the true and only Father of the said Bastard Child, who hath been summoned to appear before us to answer the Charge, but hath not appeared nor shewn any sufficient Cause why the said Child may not be filiated upon him.

.. upon the oath of the said Ann Wilson as otherwise, declare and adjudge the said John Berril to be the reputed father of the said bastard child.     .....   that the said John Berril shall and do forthwith pay or cause to be paid to the said churchwardens and overseer of the poor of the said township, or some of them, the Sum of seven pounds thirteen shillings and nine pence which they have expended and been put unto, by Reason and on Account of the said Ann Wilson's lying-in ...
...three shillings and three pence in Money weekly and every Week....

And also that she the said Ann Wilson shall and do pay.... three shillings and three pence in Money weekly ...

...this twenty seventh day of July in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and four.

James Scotson served Copy of this Order on John Berril

Oct 2nd Was baptized Richard born of Ann Wilson by me Delalonde Priest.
~~~~~~~~-----------------------------------------------
I have looked into find details of the alleged father John Berril but have come up with little evidence as to who he was and what he went on to do in his life, except for a Possable marriage that is within the timescale and area's mentioned .

This is the marriage
Marriage: 28 Jun 1804
 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
John BORELL - bachelor of the parish of BLACKBURN to
Grizle Jameson - spinster of the same parish
~~~~~~~~-----------------------------------------------

I would be interested on your thoughts on this marriage, and indeed any information you have on the Wilson family. I have Richards family tracked forwards but nothing for either parent( John Burill or Ann Wilson ) going backwards .

Regards Judi

Gaskell, Ormskirk, Upholland, Pemberton, Lancashire
Screeton/Screaton, Nottingham
Lomax Suffolk, Lancashire
Ghilks, Mansfield
Jones, Wales
Banham, Norwich
Rothwell, Lancashire
Tinks, Suffolk
Shepherd, Lancashire

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnmac123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for all the info Judi. I've had a quick look for John Borrell, but no luck so far.
He was a Chapman or itinerant seller so he may be hard to trace, but I'll keep on looking for him and Grizel.

Richard (b1730 in Wrightington) in my tree was also raised a Catholic.
In the 1767 census he was a Hucster (Ale seller) and in the 1794 census he was living at "Seven Stars" which I assume is a Pub.

Richard (b1803, Coppull) was also running a pub in the 1841 census and I saw a post on talk.standish.org.uk that said his greatgrandson also ran a pub called the "New Seven Stars", maybe there is a connection?

I got the following info at www.the.wilson.name (Highly recommended)

------------------------------------------------------

1794 Coppull census conducted by the vicar of Standish

House or Farm: Seven Stars
Tenant: Richard Wilson
Children: 1
Total: 3
Religion: Rome

-----------------------------------------------------

Papists in Coppull 1767.

Wilson  Richd  Hucster 38
Wilson  Peggy   Wife of Richd.    37 
Wilson  Edward  Child 11 
Wilson  Betty  Child  5   
Wilson  Peggy  Child 4   
Wilson  Dorothy Child 2   
Wilson  Richd  Child 1

1764 Census
Wilson Richard Margaret Children:  3 , Total: 5

Elizabeth Wilson (Betty in 1767 census) is if I've got my info correct married to Richard Standish and their daughter Dorothy's
Godmother is listed as Ann Wilson (Baptism: 26 Dec 1797, Standish Hall). I wonder if this Ann is Richard's mother? She could be
the youngest child of Richard senior as there was a child living at home in the 1796 census and I can't account for who this
would be as the only surviving children are Elizabeth (married), Dorothy (married) and Edward (born 1756).

Regards
John

Offline johnmac123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 February 11 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm pretty sure now that Ann is the daughter of Richard & Margaret Wilson of Coppull and
that she married James Lucas in 1814.

Wrightington Hall RC.
James Lucas of Standish
Ann Wilson of Standish
Witnesses: James Wallwork & Elizabeth Wallwork (Her sister Dorothy's children)

Ann appears as a sponsor at several baptisms of her siblings children:

26 Dec 1797 Standish Hall
Dorothy Standish  RICHARD & ELIZABETH  (nee Wilson)   Witn: ANN WILSON

St Gregory's Weld Bank. 1821 James Walwork son of Marie Walwork.
Spons: John Walwork & Anna Lucas.  (Again sister Dorothy's children)

Marriage: 1 Sep 1823 St Wilfrids, Standish, Lancashire, England
James Whittle - of This Parish
Mary Wallworth - (X), of This Parish
    Witness: John Wallwork; James Lucas  (James her husband. Mary & John are Dorothy's children)

St Mary's, Euxton, Baptisms
MARY ANN WORDEN 22/10/1832 23/10/1832    Richard Ann (nee Wallwork)        Witn: James Lucas    Ann Lucas
MARY ANN WORDEN 9/10/1833 13/10/1833    Richard Ann (nee Wallwork)       Witn: James Lucas    Ann Lucas
I think these are Ann's children James & Ann.

She has two children from her marriage James and Ann.
James marries a Mary Ann and they appear as Sponsors at her son Richard Wilson's son Joshua's baptism:
Joshua Wilson b1854 Parents: Richard & Mary (Aspinall).     Godparents: James & Mary Ann Lucas
Richard and James would be half brothers.

From the 1851 census for Ann Lucas in Wrightington she was born in Coppull abt 1774 which fits right in with Richard & Margaret's family and the only child still at home in the 1794 census. She would be 20 and still classed as a minor.

Hope this all makes some sort of sense
I've put it all on my Ancestry.co.uk tree if you have access to it.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 February 11 14:26 GMT (UK) »
"Seven Stars" was a popular name for pubs in Standish.

The "Seven Stars" is now a farmhouse, on the western side of the A49 Preston Rd just before the border with Coppull. It is called "Old Seven Stars Farm" if I remember correctly.

The "New Seven Stars" was its replacement, just across the road. It's now an Italian restaurant.

The "Original Seven Stars" was about half a mile further south. The building looks Edwardian, and is now called The Shamrock. I think its earlier name was an attempt to get the passing trade heading for the "proper" Seven Stars.

I reckon that the farmhouse would be the only one of these in 1767.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline johnmac123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 February 11 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the info.
I don't know how long Richard was at the Seven Stars, the only reference to Seven Stars is the 1794 census but he was a Hucster or beer seller in the 1767 census.
He had a land valuation done in 1804 which refers to a House, Garden, Ford & Orchard and several fields adding up to 10 acres. This sounds like it could be the farm you mention. The beer part of it may have been a sideline or vice-versa.
It would be fantastic to think that the house they lived in is still there.

Offline Lancashire1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just come across your posts.... I too am searching a Wilson family in Coppull, and wondered whether maybe some of the names here were connected to the same family perhaps?

The family im searching starts with my G.Grandad, William Wilson (b.1901 ). His parents were Henry Wilson (b.1851) and Margaret Ellen Seddon (b.1871 Leigh)
The family lived at Coppull moor.

Henrys parents i believe were George Wilson (b.1871) and Betsy,maiden name Collier (b.1821)

If this family are linked somehow with the Wilsons mentioned here please reply with details :)

Thankyou.

Offline Lancashire1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry made a mistake there...George Wilson (b. 1817)

Offline wilbynook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 August 11 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,I have just joined. My GGGrandfather was the mentioned Richard Wilson, he was a publican at the Diccinson Arms, Wrightington, around 1840. His greatgrand son Christopher Wilson was the Landlord of the New Seven Stars, Standish ,around 1960. I have traced the family back to Richard's mother, but that about it.

Offline wilbynook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone found out any more about Richard Wilson