Author Topic: Elusive great great grandfather  (Read 736 times)

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Elusive great great grandfather
« on: Monday 28 May 07 13:56 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any suggestions as to my next move?
My g.g.grandfather, Alexander Snowball b.1826c Haydon Bridge or Hexham and according to his marriage details (31.01.1847) he was a brickmaker, fathers name John and fathers occupation, joiner.
According to the censuses (I realise these are by no means exhaustive) the most likely candidate is a John Snowball b 22.01.1792 Haydon Bridge, son of John and Jane. John married Isabella Urwin 19.11.1814. I've found several of their children in the IGI but no Alexander. This could simply be as he was not their son, but suggestively Alexander had children called William,Hannah,Isabella,John and Robert, the names of his possible parents and aunts and uncles.
I've only been doing this for about 4 weeks so I'm a bit stumped, any help gratefully recieved.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive great great grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 May 07 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello there

I can see the marriage of Alexander Snowball in Durham on March 1847.
Which of the lovely ladies did he marry? Do you have them couple in 1851?

And him with his family - or not - in 1841?

Who were the witnesses to the marriage- can often be family members-so a big clue there sometimes  ;)

Is there a full address on the 1847 cert,have you checked it in 51 to see if any family members are still there.

With genealogy NEVER presume anything,it'll cost you loads and send you off in totally the wrong direction(we've all done it).Start with what you do know and work backwards- or sidewards.

All the best

Carol

To save us duplicating info, also see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,231926.0.html
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive great great grandfather
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 May 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I have no trace of Alexander in 1841 (or 71).
The marriage cert shows that Ann and Alex. were living in Berry Edge and they were married in Medomsley.
The witnesses were Thomas Ferry and William Mansell (the latter was also a witness at the following days wedding and, by coincidence, this was also the name of the grandfather-in-law of one of Ann & Alexs daughters)
I have them in 1851, 61, 81 and 91, they moved around a fair bit, they had 10 kids, nearly all born in different places.
I'm confident I'm on safe ground so far, my gran was named Ann Ferry Challoner after her grandmother.
I've just looked up the grandson who was with them on the 1891 census, he appears to be their daughter Isabellas son  and has the middle name Irwin, it isn't proof but again it is suggestive.
Although I know not to assume it's awful tempting ;D
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk