Author Topic: Hatton Asylum  (Read 1885 times)

Offline woobie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hatton Asylum
« on: Tuesday 29 May 07 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,new to this so looking for some help.Ive been told a story of one of my ancestors being committed to Hatton Asylum in Warwick,Im not sure how true this story is and was wondering is there any way I can see Hatton records without visiting Warwick Record Office.The girl in question was Emily Brown or Crofts,bc 1891,committed apparently because she was pregnant.All I know is that if it is true she would have been committed after 1901 (as she shows on the census age 9)and Id assume before 1910.I have also been told that she killed some one while in the asylum,I do not know what happened to the child she was carrying or any information at all.Really dont know where to start and I know it could be just a story but I feel compelled to find out what happened to Emily.Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hatton Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 12:36 BST (UK) »
There might be some issues regarding access.  A search on www.a2a.org.uk will show you what type of records they have (note: seldom would any such records be online, you'll either need to go to the record office or get someone to go for you).  A2A indicates:

[Access Conditions] Clinical records under one hundred years old cannot be produced without written permission from the Consultant Psychiatrist at the Central Hospital.

When you say she was 'Brown or Crofts', which name was she born under?  What are the circumstances of the name-change? (Stepfather, illegitimacy, etc?).  You might try trawling the death indexes for her - easier if she was listed as 'Crofts', of course.

http://squirl.info/asset/show/941?c=Postcard&cid=1243&i=52 - there's an interesting old photo here of nurses from Hatton.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hatton Asylum
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk