Author Topic: Kinnist/Kinnest name  (Read 3389 times)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Kinnist/Kinnest name
« on: Tuesday 29 May 07 22:15 BST (UK) »
This name is very close to Kinnish as per the other thread.  My grandmother was a Kinnest.  All those (not that many) with the name now, that I can find, originate from the one couple, including the ones in Australia.

John Kinnest/Kennest/Kinnist claims he was born 1825 in Blackburn in 2 of the 3 census I have him on, and I find a Margaret Kinnist dying there in 1850, but got absolutely no help from the cert, and can't find her elsewhere.  His wife Eliza was from Dublin.

I did a global search on Ancestry last year, and the Kinnist name crops up for the Isle of Man in 1841/61/81 and 1901 census.  Is it possible the family may have originated from there?  Does anyone in the Isle of Man still have the name Kinnist, or has it faded out? 

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kinnist/Kinnest name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 07 21:36 BST (UK) »
the name is not in my reading of the 1841 Manx census - suspect misreading of Kinnish - nor do I have any ref to it in my online manx directories etc
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Kinnist/Kinnest name
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 07 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Frances.

It's worth a try - it was a bit of a thought I had that the name may have got mangled along the way.    Oh well.... 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"