Author Topic: HASTINGS C18th - Dumfries or Kirkudbright  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
HASTINGS C18th - Dumfries or Kirkudbright
« on: Wednesday 30 May 07 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi folks!

Further to my HASTINGS thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,38335.0.html

It turns out that a cousin has done some research a long while ago and came up with the following:

Archibald HASTINGS = Mary BRYCE on 20 Nov 1774, (place not known to me)

Children:

Sarah 16 Nov 1776
John 6 Nov 1779 (my rellie)
James 3 Oct 1784
Jane 6 May 1787

Again, no locations known.  John is on the 1841 census in Maxwelltown, where he is a miller and later says he was born Troqueer, Kirkudbright.

I thought I would try to track back on SP, but am totally unable to find records that match!

I have found a John and a Sara (sic) born to a William HESTINGS and Isobell MCQUINN in Carsphairn, Kirkudbright, but the dates don't match!  I am sure my cousin didn't dream all this up - any ideas where I am going wrong??

Thanks for any suggestions!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HASTINGS C18th - Dumfries or Kirkudbright
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

I've had problems finding baptisms for some of my KKD rellies around that time. I was told by cousin's in Canada that it was because my ancestors refused to pay the tax that was levied at that time on entries in the registers  :(  Their dates were finally established by Family Bible entries and/or deaths- MIs,etc.

Have you any idea of the sources that your cousin used? Kirk Sessions minutes might possibly have some record but it's an outside chance and then there's the problem of which parish  :(

Did she possibly get them from MIs - which are pretty well documented in KKD. These very often give dates of birth. If you could give me some idea of the possible parishes that they died in, I could have a look see in my KKD MI records -I have nothing on Dumfries MIs though  :(

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget - I think the quickest thing will be to ask my cousin, but I don't know whether he will remember (it was quite some time ago!)

I haven't looked for deaths yet, but apart from John I suspect they stayed local to Troqueer (famous last words!)

I would be grateful for anything you might find, but I can be patient...

:)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 23:07 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look at Troqueer and neighbouring parishes's MIs. Do you know the married names of Sarah and Jane?

Gadget

Added - no Hastings in any of the MIs for the KKD parishes. There are Hastie and Haestie in Kirkbean and Troqueer but nit yours  :(

They must not have had headstones or maybe were buried in Dumfries  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 23:37 BST (UK) »
Just casting around  :-\

on IGI

There's a bpt. of a Mary Bryce, 7 March 1746, Dumfries. Father James which would fit with the children's names.

And the marriage of a James Bryce (father Alexander) to Jean Concher 4 December 1743, Dumfries.

Will keep looking through other bits and pieces.

Gadget

Hairstain(e)s is another variation  :-\

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 May 07 13:33 BST (UK) »

Hairstain(e)s is another variation  :-\

Thank you very much for looking Gadget. Def some new stuff there!

No, I don't know what became of John's siblings, just that he moved to Dunbarton.

I just discovered the HAIRSTANES variant recently - the mind boggles!  I had had thoughts of 1066 and all that, but this puts it in an entirely different light!  :o ;D

I will have another bash at these myself, but meanwhile I am grateful for any input, however mundane..

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 May 07 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've been through all my bit and pieces and can find nothing on your family  :(

The only things that I can think of ( if they're not RC)  for your cousin to have the details are a family bible/family docs; some info found at the Ewart Library, Kikcudbright Museum or Edinburgh; or that they belonged to one of the early break-away religious groups. Some records might have survived of these and he found them in one or other of the above records places  :-\

Sorry

Gadget

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 May 07 19:31 BST (UK) »
I am grateful to you for your efforts - at least we know what NOT to try now.

Looks like this one will have to wait til I am passing in the summer ...

8)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 May 07 23:57 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guess what I've found - Kirkpatrick Durham, KKD -  Monumental Inscriptions:

Archd Hestings d. Burnside of Minneydow 20.6. 1806, 67 w. Mary Bryce 21.6.1815, 69 by sons John and James.

It looks as if the Mary Bryce that I found bpt. Dumfries 1746 fits this age as well  :)

Gadget