Author Topic: harrison's yard  (Read 10536 times)

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
harrison's yard
« on: Wednesday 30 May 07 20:22 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me the yard number of Harrison's yard in Kendal please?  ???

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: harrison's yard
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 September 07 03:33 BST (UK) »
this link show's the old yards of kendal . (i googled it)   harrison's yard doesn't come up.  if your still looking for it  my mum still lives in kendal   and at 83  can remember the names of yards and them been there (which a lot now aren't)    mail me if you still want tthe info .                 there is also a book by margaret duffy on old kendal  that may help . adrian

heres the link 

www.visitcumbria.com/kendal/kendal-yards.

LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 07 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Adrian,

Please do ask your Mum for me....you never know but she may very well remember for some reason or another. Sadly, I think yards keep changing their names though, so it is possible that Harrison's Yard became known by another name.... I found the name originally as it cropped up on one of the census sheets and I wondered if it still existed.  I was planning on a Kendal visit and would have liked to see if the old places were still there. Thank your Mum for me; people like her are so valuable at all the local knowledge they have acquired over the years. Like so many other people, I wished I'd talked about FH with my Gran before it was too late....

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 07 00:00 BST (UK) »
hi   well have asked her and off the top of her head she hasn't heard of it .   but sunday when they all get together after church ( six of them lunch on sundays) she will ask her friends , am sure one of them will know , but it will prob cause  some heated debate .   HE HE !!!!     

may be to narrow down the area   if you have a copy of the census   is there another yard name or street or road  on it , or with been so many pubs in Kendal  a pub name (hic! i think i did them all in my youth). maybe  page before or after . ( if you got it from ancestry.com)  i once lost a family group   but when i looked up the neighbor's on the following census  my lot were there  but  the surname was misspelt .(poss yard name misspelt ?)

Adrian
LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 07 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

I shall have a look to see what the previous pages say if I can and tell you...I could do with finding a pub for a drink....thursty work sitting here at the computer!    ;D
Lyn

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 07 00:56 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it would be better if I didn't have a drink....I just remembered that I can't look up a previous page as the Harrison's yard address is on a marriage cert!!! It does say Highgate, so it must have been in Highgate, but what yard number was it? The person who filled the cert in originally went and crossed out a mistake when he began to put in the address in a previous column and as there is a 28 in that column I am wondering if Harrisons yard was no 28....would that be possible? Either that or it might mean number 28 in Harrison's yard, which is more likely. Regards Lyn

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 03:31 BST (UK) »
Lyn    not having much luck  mums asked loads of her friends   but complete blank , she's even asked a guy who does historic Kendal   and he is puzzled  .   

if a wedding cert    what year ?????   is it near a census date that they or their parents could still be living in  Harrisons yard ?????     or a siblings wedding  ??????

the yards that are still there  have kept their names   but so many have now gone  due to rebuild .

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 11:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Adrian,
I will study the cert again.... ???The writing is soooooo poor that I MUST be reading it incorrectly.  :-\I simply can't see any other reason for the mystery! Perhaps I should carry the cert about with me and ask other people what it says....I shall not say anything about Harrison's yard and then they might see something entirely different!!! I will also drag it out the file and look at it in context with the nearest census sheets as you suggest. Thank you for all this bother you have gone too. It is so very kind. Regards Lyn

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
Don't know if  this helps but there's an 1851 directory of Westmorland on http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp and that has a listing for Jonathan Savage, manufacturer of sacks and wool sheets, Harrison's Yard, Kendal.

I can't see Jonathan Savage in the 1851 census but there is a weaver of that name in Highgate in the 1841 census.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk