Author Topic: harrison's yard  (Read 10534 times)

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: harrison's yard
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
I have studied the marriage cert again  8) and it still looks like Harrison to me...I have asked one other person and they simply made up a ridiculous sound!...not at all helpful. I have another possability and that was that the person who did the entry made an error in the 'condition' section...they had put in the address and then scribbled it out....I think it says 28 before the Harrison's Yard, then 'Highgate' after.

I also looked up all the other addresses for the family...as it was rather large as was the norm in those days. Loads of them were living at 57 Highgate, some at 17 Entry Lane, 10 Kirkland and finally at Yew Trees.

It is interesting and reassuring that Shaun has come up with a Jonathan Savage, a sack maker at Harrison's yard....there just must have been a place by that name somewhere in Highgate. I can only assume it was a short lived name.... the mystery continues...  :-\

I shall ask some 'more sensable' people what they make of the address...I was thinking I should take it to a pharmacist....if they can read doctors writing on prescriptions then they should make something out of this!!!  ;D

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 20:36 BST (UK) »
..I was thinking I should take it to a pharmacist....if they can read doctors writing on prescriptions then they should make something out of this!!!

Only problem with that idea is that most prescriptions are computer generated nowadays.  ;D ;D

Liz

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 10:12 BST (UK) »
I shall need to choose a very old pharmacist then won't I Lizzie!!!?  ;)

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 21:13 BST (UK) »
http://www.visitcumbria.com/sl/kendal-wainwrightsyard.htm    try this   but mum thinks it was called white lions yard .            but not highgate     the other interesting one to google is  "titus wilson " highgate kendal    this was at 28 highgate          need to find what was there before  titus wilson's !!!!!!!!!   

still looking 
LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Adrian,

Titus Wilson!!!! With a name like that I won't be showing the family!....the reason is simple...I have loads of Wilson's in my history and I can imagine the nickname that might follow me if they caught a glimpse of the 'Titus' bit!!!! It was bad enough when someone found a gruesome doll in a shop window called 'evil Lyn'!!! I suppose there was every good chance that these yards changed names from time to time.... perhaps because of the different occupations that people brought into them and also who the yard actually belonged too... Thanks again Adrian

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 April 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyn,

I don't know if you've found it yet, but on Henry Hoggarth's map of 1853 Wm Fred Harrison has a yard on the east side of Highgate (odd numbers) opposite the Shakespeare Tavern, which Adrian has probably frequented on numerous occasions!

Regards

Chris

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 April 08 21:46 BST (UK) »
mmmmmmmmmmm   the shakespear is a really good pub !!!!    so its across the road  are there the names of the yards on either side ??????
LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 April 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
The Shakey isn't on my list of best pubs in Kendal but if I go into town tomorrow - and I almost certainly will do, I'll see if there are any yard names opposite. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any but it's amazing what you don't see when you live in a place.

Jen

Tragically, the Ring of Bells, The Cock and Dolphin and The Bowman have all closed.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 April 08 23:02 BST (UK) »
mmmmmmmmmmm noticed  when in kendal last month      there is miler and moser yard that  is next to the new pram shop (margarets ???)      and yard 57 i think is tanners yard .   my mum lives at the bottom of booths carpark  but all her friends (oaps)  have no idea  where this yard was.
the ring o bells was the pub where my grandfather walker denney  played dominoes  the bowman was the bishop's blaze i think    this still has me puzzled as to which yard could be harrisons