Author Topic: Dumfries & Galloway Standard Look Up Required Please  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dumfries & Galloway Standard Look Up Required Please
« on: Wednesday 30 May 07 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

I wonder if some kind soul would be prepared to have a look through the back issues for me.
I am looking for news of my Great Uncle coming home from the war after being released from a Prisoner of War camp in Germany.

James Allan was married to an Isabella Hunter of Brocketshillstone on the 2nd of June 1916 he was with the Royal Scots 1/10th Cyclists.  He was to join the Royal Scots Fusiliers shortly after and was sent France.  He had only been there a few short months when during an advance he was injured (quite badly I believe) where he lay in a shell hole for 5 days beside a dead officer before being taken prisoner by the Germans.

This next post was in the Dumfries & Galloway Standard -

9/12/1916 DUNSCORE SOLDIER MISSING; Mrs James Allan Brockhillstone; Dunscore; has received official intimation that her husband; Private James Allan; Royal Scots Fusiliers; has been missing since 15th November.; he enlisted at the beginning of the war and went to France in the beginning of July this year.;

He was treated well by the Germans by all accounts and was released some 13 months later in Switzerland as part of a prisoner exchange.

I imagine that this would have made news done this neck of the woods.

I think that there may have been something in the paper from January 1918 - May 1918 as this was when he was discharged.

I would dearly love someone to fill in the bits as I have the begining and the end of this story.

The conclusion was that James & Isabella moved to Broxburn and then to Barre Vermont America in 1925.  In 1934 Isabella died.
In 1935 James was so distrought with the loss of his wife and the suffering he had due to the wounds recieved in the war that he SHOT himself in the left lung and died.  I have photographs of their graves in America.

If anyone can spare the time and effort to do such a look up I would be greatly obliged.

Yours from a cold North Lanarkshire,

Swally

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dumfries & Galloway Standard Look Up Required Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 September 07 20:55 BST (UK) »
bump

just trying to put it back up for new willing peeps to have a go

ta,

Swally