Author Topic: Warminster, BUTT, 1901  (Read 3156 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Warminster, Butt, 1901
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 May 07 19:04 BST (UK) »
Found a daughter for Sidney Pond and Olive Butt http://freebmd.rootsweb.com
Pond  Winifred O  1911 mothers maiden name  Butt    Warminster 5a  226
 another  1914 Pond    Audrey B    Butt    Warminster  5a  237
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Warminster, Butt, 1901
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 June 07 22:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your assistance, it really is appreciated!

While searching through the records I found another George BUTT as well like you mention which has given me some concern - after all, I don't want to start barking down the wrong branch :D
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline Saltspring

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Warminster, BUTT, 1901
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 July 07 20:53 BST (UK) »
I knew Olive Butt very well.  She was married to my grandmother's brother Sidney Pond and I used to visit them often at Burcombe Manor (near Wilton) when I was a child.  After Uncle Sidney died, Auntie Olive moved to a house near Victoria Park in Salisbury (where we also lived) and my mother and I used to visit her there before I emigrated to Canada.   
I knew many of the Butt family including Auntie Myrtle in East Knoyle and Auntie Dean (who came to live with the Lush family in Codford during the war years as a member of the Womens' Land Army) and there were 2 other sisters named Rita and Peggy, who I believe lived somewhere hear Wincanton. My grandmother Bessie (Elizabeth Maud Lush - nee Pond) was the third girl in the Pond family - after Auntie Mabel and Auntie Lily - there was also Auntie Dorothy who'd married an ANZAC soldier in WWI and emigrated to Australia. I think Uncle Sidney was the youngest in the family and Bessie and Sidney were the only ones who had any children.  I seem to remember my mother mentioning there was another Butt/Pond marriage somewhere besides Olive & Sidney and Olive's nephew (Colin Butt) moved to Vancouver, Canada. During my many visits to Burcombe, I became close friends with Elizabeth Andrews, who was the daughter of Olive & Sidney's daughter Winnie, who lived near Steeple Langford. Unfortunately I don't have any photos to offer but a lot of memories and had my mother still been alive, she'd have been able to give you loads of information about the Butt family because she knew all the names and relationships! 

Offline Emelou79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 15:36 BST (UK) »
George butt is my great great grandfather

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 September 22 09:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Emelou79.

The 2 people who posted on here haven't been on Rootschat since 2007/2010 so you may not get a reply from them..
If you need any help with the Butt family just add your query to this.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 September 22 10:03 BST (UK) »
EDIT just saw a Tree that has the Parents of Jonas (Father of George) as Elisha/Charity.
But no maiden name for Charity.

You may have it but in case you dont;

Marriage;
14 Apr 1811, St John the Baptist , Brewham, Somerset   
Charity GREEN
Elisha BUTT

Elisha buried 17 Jun 1877 Penselwood age 90
Charity buried 07 Jun 1855 Brewham age 75

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Emelou79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 September 22 10:38 BST (UK) »
EDIT just saw a Tree that has the Parents of Jonas (Father of George) as Elisha/Charity.
But no maiden name for Charity.

You may have it but in case you dont;

Marriage;
14 Apr 1811, St John the Baptist , Brewham, Somerset   
Charity GREEN
Elisha BUTT

Elisha buried 17 Jun 1877 Penselwood age 90
Charity buried 07 Jun 1855 Brewham age 75

Thank you for the advice I am searching for anything I can find really as I just wanted to start looking at the family history. My dad is going to get the research my nan did for me so that I can have some more information on it all.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 September 22 10:17 BST (UK) »
If you need any help just ask :)

Offline Emelou79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 September 22 15:51 BST (UK) »
I keep getting crossed over with a different butt family this is the one that I am trying to find information on its frustrating. This is what I have worked out so far.

George butt married Clara Chaffey (I can't find anything on Clara)
They had 8 children
Frederick married Charlotte Atkins (this is my great grans parents)
Beatrice I have no info on
Alexander I have no info
Edgar I have dates and he died in australia
Winnieford I have no info on
Stanley had 8 children and I have his passing date but not birth date and I dont know who he married
Rowland married Kate Eveline glass and they had one child (I am not sure if the child survived as the website says 1921-1921) and he also died in Australia
Olive married Sidney pound they had 4 children the website says 5 but then I realised that the 5th child isn't a child it's actually olive.

Ok so my great grandmother violet butt was Frederick and Charlotte's child. Violet married Ivor hisket and they had one child which is my nan June.

I can't find very much about any of them including violet. My nan June was born in the house sandhill farm and spent a lot of time there with her granny Charlotte.