Author Topic: DEAL look up please.  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Royalgaz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DEAL look up please.
« on: Thursday 31 May 07 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have just noticed on the look up offer page that Bill749 is able to do look ups in DEAL.

I would be ever so grateful Bill if you could look up a Charles Goodwin for me born in Deal (apparently) circa 1837 or 1840 please.

The only trace of him I can find is on the 1901 census with his wife & children (some very kind people on here previously helped me to try find him on any other census, but with no joy). I have managed to find out details on just about all his children (they are all born around london area) and he has a wife Sarah Ann Hewitt (20 years younger then him apparently) who came from wolverhampton, who I have also traced, but as for Charles, he is an absolute mystery.

Sadly I have no parents or siblings names and that is what I am hoping to locate, if he is traceable as being born in Deal. The birth years are approxiamate, one is taken from the 1901 census and the other is from one of his grandchildren (who is very old and may be mistaken).

Fingers crossed you will be able to find something on him or his family for me.

Thank you. Regards Gary

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DEAL look up please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 May 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
this probably doesnt help you but i have found 3 birth registrations on Freebmd around those years in the area although not specificly Deal.

Charles Goodwin Q3 1838 Hollinbourn 5 233
Charles Goodwin Q1 1840 Maidstone  5 289
Charles Goodwin Q1 1841 Maidstone 5 309

do you have their Charles & Sarah marriage reg?

i have found a possible one again on Freebmd

Sarah Ann Hewitt and Charles Goodcliff (possibly mistranscribed) Thanet Q4 1964 2a 1375

did Charles have a middle name? this would help narrow it down.

have you looked on IGI again there are sevral on there the closest age wise being Charles Goodwin christened 09.09.1838 in Bicknor child of William Goodwin and Ann Ashby

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Royalgaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 07 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni

Thank you. I did order the first one I think it was, but if i remember correctly the family were on the census records and the son got married to someone else (a while ago now that I last looked for this man, so forgotten exact details now). When I last checked on IGI, there were no goodwins, so will try & trace that family (lol, could be same person that I looked at previously).

Now comes the hard part. Charles on one of the birth certs for child is Charles Arthur Goodwin, on another just Charles, on a marriage cert Charles Buckman (or Buckenor) Wolf Goodwin, so have no idea his correct name.

His wife was born in 1857, so thank you, but that couldn't be the marriage record as she would only be 7. And no, have not located the marriage record either (not for the want of trying). Wife is living with her family all the way until 1871, then she drops of the census records (assume she got married soon after that to Charles) and their first child (that I can trace) is born circa 1882 (can't trace her birth record, but I have been given her details by grandaughter, who sadly knows nothing else about the family, as her mother went to america as young child and never saw the family again).

Lol, now you see why I have hit the huge brick wall on this trace.

Gary

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

FEWELL - FEWEL - FUELL -  FUEL ALL AREAS
KENNAIRD - KENNARD - BANCE OF KENT & SUSSEX
DOWNES - TWIN - CHILDS OF ESSEX
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON
PEARCE - FURZELAND - PARSONS OF SOMERSET
CLARKE - GILOOLLY OF PERTHSHIRE
McHUGH-McHUE-McCUE - GILOOLLY OF IRELAND

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 May 07 16:27 BST (UK) »
(3) Ratings' Service Records 1667-1923

Tracing naval seamen prior to 1853 is mainly based upon the:

(a) muster and pay books for the individual ships he served upon.
(b) pension applications which include certificates of service. Warrant officers were more likely to receive pensions around 1800 than ordinary seamen. However after 1834 pensions for seamen became more common.
(c) in-pensioner applications to Greenwich Hospital.

Tracing sailors before 1853 can be difficult as seamen often moved between naval and merchant ships. In 1853 the RN introduced a continuous service system and this significantly helps when researching an individual. From 1853 seamen entering the Navy were given continuous service (CS) numbers. These were entered in Continuous Service Engagement Books. They list the seaman's date and place of birth, physical characteristics and a summary of service to date. 

If a rating or warrant officer applied for a naval pension, a medal or gratuity between the years 1802 and 1894 he had to give a brief record of the ships he served upon, the dates during which he served and the total times in pay. Certificates of Service were compiled by the Navy Pay Office from the Ships' Pay Books and it is possible to search these records.

The Registers of Seamen's Services give the Service Records of rating who joined the Royal Navy between 1873 and 1923. They do not cover service after 1928 for which it is recommended you see Post 1921 Service.

This is an extract taken from

http://www.militaryarchiveresearch.com/RNServiceRecords.htm#(3)%20Ratings%20Service%20Records%201667-1923

you can also contact them which i advise as military history is a precise part of Geneaology

Good Luck and do let me know how you get on.

Kath x
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 May 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
Rootschat also have a military section

maybe they can help , maybe his military records will have parents names as he seems to have joined before he married

regards
Kath x
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON

Offline Royalgaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 May 07 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kath. I don't have a clue how to search for military records on rootschat, could you guide me at all?

Regards Gary

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 May 07 16:44 BST (UK) »
Yes Gaz

no probs mate

go here and post a message about charles (copy and paste the 1861 census info)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html

also go here it's the millatary resources page it might help

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,388.0.html

regards Kath x
let me know if you get stuck but i'm sure you'll be ok

DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON