Author Topic: Can Doyle become Dile?  (Read 815 times)

Offline public

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can Doyle become Dile?
« on: Friday 01 June 07 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've got a Daniel Doyle ancestor, wife Mary, kids Daniel, James Margeret.

Now I can't find them in the 1851 census in Liverpool, but I've found a Dile family with the same first names and matching ages.

Can this happen? Did the census taker just mishear the name?
They were Irish immigrants by the way. ;)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Can Doyle become Dile?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 07 21:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, this sort of thing occurs  all the time unfortunately, making our job that much harder.  And it can also be a transcripition mistake, always check the original image,  Hope this helps  :)   
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline public

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 07 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.

I've checked the riginal, and it's certainly Dile.

But I've got visions of this big Irish navvy saying "Doyle" and it sounding like "Dile".

They were illiterate too.

cheers

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thats another problem so many people were, they could not read what had been written and as you rightly say loads of accents  regional as well.

I spent ages trying to find the birthplace of one of our 2 x gt grandfathers, written on the census as Hinckley, Devon, turned out to be Hittisleigh  ::)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 June 07 23:08 BST (UK) »
But I've got visions of this big Irish navvy saying "Doyle" and it sounding like "Dile".

This is what I was going to suggest.  Remembering my Irish grandparents' accent, it would be an easy mistake to make.

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk