Author Topic: Paulton and Cholera  (Read 11008 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Paulton and Cholera
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 July 15 18:43 BST (UK) »
I expect you know that Dinah WATTS was the daughter of James WATTS and Dinah BULL To add to the confusion their daughter Lucy WATTS married Henry BULL son of Robert and Ann and Henry witnessed the marriage of George Bull and DInah WATTS.
James Watts and Dinah had three daughters all baptised in their twenties
6 Jan 1808   Lusca   F   James   Dinah   WATTS   aged 21 years (I think this is LUCY who married Henry BULL
26 Dec 1808   Rosanna   F   James   Dinah   WATTS   aged 20 years an 8 months
93   May 31st 1815   Dinah wife of George   BULL   aged 19   Paulton      x      Wm Wright Curate
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline forthekids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 July 15 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick and fullsome response!  I had originally landed on the same George as you but stumbled upon a publication on the Somerset Coalfield connections and started to doubt myself as they indicated that it was George, son of Robert and Ann, that married Dinah Watts.  It would have been helpful if everyone didn't name all their children the same name!  My connection is in their daughter Eleanor who married Benjamin Weaver. 

I was fascinated about the cholera story as another side of my family was severely hit by that in Wales around 1860. How on earth did you learn this?  It is these stories that add the colour to the work that we do. 

Thank you.   I found your website and will dig in now.  Thanks again!

Offline forthekids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 July 15 01:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick and fullsome response!  I had originally landed on the same George as you but stumbled upon a publication on the Somerset Coalfield connections and started to doubt myself as they indicated that it was George, son of Robert and Ann, that married Dinah Watts.  It would have been helpful if everyone didn't name all their children the same name!  My connection is in their daughter Eleanor who married Benjamin Weaver. 

I was fascinated about the cholera story as another side of my family was severely hit by that in Wales around 1860. How on earth did you learn this?  It is these stories that add the colour to the work that we do. 

Thank you.   I found your website and will dig in now.  Thanks again!

Update...
I enjoyed reading some of your stories on the website.  I have a few questions, if you don't mind.  In your records, do you see our George (1795 - son of Stephen and Pewter) marrying again or track down his date and place of death?  I can't find him after the 1841 census.

You must have gone through the Paulton parish records.  I am so jealous!  I am in Canada which makes that type of research difficult.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 July 15 07:30 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help. Yes we have been to Paulton and to the Taunton Record Office we live a fair distance from Somerset but have a Motorcaravan  and try to include places of family interest in our travels.  We have a copy of a little book the Paulton History Society produced sadly out of print now and annoyingly I can;t put my hand on it now ...will have a hunt later today... It mentioned the Diary I am asking for here but I have totally failed to find a copy of that. The quote in the book was so fascinating I'd love to get to see the whole diary  its the date that throws me. Cholera spread across the country in the two maindeadly  waves and in isolated pockets at other times until a Doctor in London found the source was contaminated water. We think of pretty little country cottages with roses round the door an live so idyllic and forget the reality of tiny cottages overcrowded with large families and no sanitation to talk of. I expect you found my page on i "Infectious diseases too.
Now  you have bought this part of the tree back to mind I have taken a look at what I have.
they are out on the twigs of our tree so I admit I didn't delve that far into them but I found a census in 1851 which looks verymuch as if it is George
HO107/1939 fo111 p 4 George 57 with wife Sarah 67 both born in Paulton. This gives a birth date about 1794 but i haven;t found a marriage

BUT OH HELP I THINK WE NEED TO GET OUT HEADS TOGETHER PLEASE CONTACT ME THROUGH THE WEB so we can discuss this by e mail I have found I already have in the data bank a George with children Stephen and Honour first son and second daughter
I'll go back through and see if there was a reason why I had Dinah's George to Stephen and Honour this could be a big problem Wish we didn't have the time differenc but we love Canada and have visited twice.
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline forthekids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have registered my email address on your website so we can continue this discussion there.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 July 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
Up date in case it helps anyone else
After quite a marathon chase For the kids and I think we have sorted her George out.
She asked "...George Bull (husband of Dinah) and was wondering if you had any insights into him.  Is he the son of Robert/Anne (as the names of his children suggest but that doesn't jive with the 1841 census), or do we go with the George Bull born January 1796 (parents Steven and Honour)"

We have concluded that the son of Robert and Ann died
burial:entry 149    10 Feb 1792   George   son of    Robert   Ann      BULL
and George son of Stephen and Honour nee Pewters married Ann BAMPFIELD and had a Stephen and Honour among their children
So that left us with the son of William and Angel COLLINS being the one who married Dinah WATTS who turned out to be cousins. George and Dinah had a daughter named Angel as well to add weight to our conclusion.

Now we are left with a problem with Angel Bull so if anyone would like to join the hunt this is the situation:

William BULL married Angel COLLINS in Radstock 29 Jun 1788
They had 6 known children in Camerton, any who died were buried in Paulton. The children were born between 1789 and 1792 ( there were twins involved)

Now there is a burial in Paulton of an Angel Bull in 1798 no age given and the date is Sep 1798 no day.
There is also a burial in Midsomer Norton in 1825 for a 74 year old Angel BULL
Now William was buried age 74 in 1823 in Camerton. so the Midsomer Norton Angell was a perfect age to be his wife but the Paulton 1798 death also looks good

Has anyone any ideas how we can sort this one out
To add to the confusion there is also an Angel Bull who was born in 1809(from her death) marrying Joseph Maggs in 1830 in Paulton now who was she? the Angel who died in 1798 cant be her mum and the Midsomer Norton one was too old to be her mum

A second problem we have turned up is this:
George re married after Dinah died in a Cholera out break. He married the widow Sarah GREGIRY in 1836 but he is on the 1841 census with two of his children and she is on the same census with two of her children They are together in 1851 . Why would they be apart in 1841?
George Bull HO107/ 939/18 fo40 p30
Sarah BULL HO107/ 939/18 fo25 p 1

1851 HO107/1939 fo111 p 4

Any ideas why they were apart please?
Thank you for your interest
Trees and Forthe kids

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 July 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
a tiny step forward
The Angel who died in 1825 in Midsomer Norton appears to be the wife of Robert BULL. There are baptisms in Midsomer Norton Wesleyan chapel for children of John and Mary Barwell which give Mary's parents as Robert and Angell Bull.
John Barwell married Mary Bull in 1814So I think this eliminates the one who died in 1824 as not Angel Collins

So that leaves us with Angel Collins probably being the one who died in 1798 but where and when was she born?
And Angel born 1809 who married James Maggs a total mystery

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
After an intense review of Forthe kids  Paulton based tree we have got a great deal of data sorted out. we have added a Paulton section to our web site for every one to be able to access. if you want to know how we got to any particular individual just ask and I'll do my best to explain why we have it the way we do. I know there are many trees on An..ry that differ in different areas but I feel we have questioned each stage and am Happy that we can explain our decisions
www.mcmullin.plus.com/Paulton%20Website
many families involved are Carter, Bull,Weaver and WATTS
If you want us to do a similar hunt on any other Paulton families let us know.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline forthekids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 03:25 BST (UK) »
After an intense review of Forthe kids  Paulton based tree we have got a great deal of data sorted out. we have added a Paulton section to our web site for every one to be able to access. if you want to know how we got to any particular individual just ask and I'll do my best to explain why we have it the way we do. I know there are many trees on An..ry that differ in different areas but I feel we have questioned each stage and am Happy that we can explain our decisions
www.mcmullin.plus.com/Paulton%20Website
many families involved are Carter, Bull,Weaver and WATTS
If you want us to do a similar hunt on any other Paulton families let us know.

Thanks again for all your help on the Paulton Bulls, Trees!  I couldn't have worked through it without your help.

for the kids!