Author Topic: Typed birth certificates ...  (Read 6237 times)

Offline las camelias

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Typed birth certificates ...
« on: Saturday 02 June 07 22:22 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there is any signficance attached to birth certificates that are typed rather than handwritten?  I have two, both for births in Buckinghamshire.  I don't think have not been typed due to illegibility of the originals as the print is obviously that of a a typewriter of the time (1940's).

Offline PillyP

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Wed on The Rock but not on The Rocks.
    • View Profile
Re: Typed birth certificates ...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi..I have three typwritten certs from 1940's to 1950's. They all contain additions to the original entries. In all cases surnames were changed with a 'statutory declaration'. They were obtained in person from the Somerset Register Office for, I can only assume, legal reasons.
Pilly
Pearce, Bown,Bulpin, Dyte, Haysham, Pike, Cridge from Somerset
Grisley, Miller, Walker,Channings from London East End
Poffley, Childs from Berkshire
Belton from Sussex
Ball, Duce, Arkinstall from Shropshire
Stock, Pearce, Wheeler from The Isle of Wight
McVicar, McLachlan from Argyll & London East End

Offline las camelias

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

Thank you for your interest.  I have put my question to the GRO so hopefully, we might get an answer straight from the horses mouth.

Knowing a little bit about the background to the 2 certificates I have which are typewritten, I wonder if has anything to do with the mother and/or father not being able to present themselves to the Registrar in person to register the births and they were registered by someone other than the parents ..  hence they were typewritten to indicate this.  Don't know, just guessing.  Will post answer from the GR0  ... when I get one!

LC

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 17:51 BST (UK) »
I've got one or two type-writen ones...mainly death certificates from the mid-1960s though.  I'd always thought of it as a peculiarity of the time or individual office, like how now, for instance, certificates here in the Rhondda seem to be printed from computer by default these days.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 17:59 BST (UK) »
I also have 2 typed certificates, a birth cert from 1948 and a death from 1961.
The birth cert had 'Adopted' added at a later date so may have been typed as PillyP has said when something has been added. The death cert is normal and has a natural cause of death so maybe that was typed for efficiency reasons.

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 18:06 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to hear what the GRO say, I've never seen a typed birth certificate!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 18:13 BST (UK) »
My childrens birth certificates are all typed but of course they are fairly recent ones. Never really thought about it before!!

Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 18:17 BST (UK) »
Your children are obviously a lot younger than me, I've just checked mine and it's handwritten!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 18:20 BST (UK) »
the vast majoirty of the certificates - which is quite a lot - that iv got are computer typed - i only have one birth cert for 1901 which is handwritten and of course all the marriage cewrts

i would like to know the significance of this too
also why is one of mine printed in red ink??

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor