Author Topic: how do i find who's in there??? canonbie grave  (Read 3257 times)

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
how do i find who's in there??? canonbie grave
« on: Sunday 03 June 07 03:58 BST (UK) »
have just had my first visit to canonbie and was pleased to find on walking in the graveyard gate  the first stone i read was was my g.g.grandparents  Elizabeth Hogg and her husband William Little, with a ref to my g.grandmother dieing in Orton Westmorland England married to a John Beck. ( everything on the stone was correct )   but we wondered  why such a huge stone  and now wonder who else could be down there but not mentioned on the stone. also 3/4 of the way along the path we found their eldest sons grave (David little and wife Hannah)  again with space left on the stone .   the fantastic grave yard men were quick to point out hat these graves could hold up to 6 or 8 burials. now on the drive home  (a round trip in one day of 800 miles) we got to talking and now wonder who else could be in there !!!????    and how do we go about finding out ?  we have no grave ref  other than been very lucky and finding them on first look ...... any help would be fantastic.  does any rootsearcher live in Canonbie or Rowanburn ????     

many thanks Adrian
LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: how do i find who's in there??? canonbie grave
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 07 07:08 BST (UK) »
The local authority or agency responsible for the cemetery will have "lair" records and would be able to give you a list of who is buried in which lair. Generally the lair number can be found marked on the stone at some unobtrusive point . It is possible that the authority may be able to assist from a description of the location of the grave or photographs if you have them. In general I have found the staff at various places extremely helpful.

Although each lair has the potential to carry multiple burials it is not necessarily the case that every one does especially one on which there is a stone to bear the records.

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: how do i find who's in there??? canonbie grave
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

You can get more information from the burial grounds division of the Council for all aspects of burial grounds, including lair purchases, funeral arrangements, upkeep of grounds and general enquiries by contacting the Land and Street Services section of Combined Services.

The staff work with funeral directors and monumental sculptors to provide a comprehensive service.

Enquiries about this service can be made at any Customer Service centre or local Combined Services office.

For more information on Burial Grounds please telephone:
01461 206186

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland