Author Topic: BRUCE,GEORGE."Fountainside Farm"Temple ,Midlothian  (Read 3347 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BRUCE,GEORGE."Fountainside Farm"Temple ,Midlothian
« on: Monday 04 June 07 01:56 BST (UK) »
"Fountainside Farm"
Seeking info on  GEORGE BRUCE (died May 5 1935) and his wife ANN SCOTT (died Sep 24 1931) They both died there.
They resided I believe at "FOUNTAINSIDE FARM" at Temple,MidLothian and I think the farm was owned or worked  by George's brother JAMES BRUCE. 
I am interested in any info on ownership of "Fountainside Farm"..possibly during the James Bruce time.
Would love obits of all three.
Any info greatly appreciated and ...many thanks in advance.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline jonalisonmiawillia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRUCE,GEORGE."Fountainside Farm"Temple ,Midlothian
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 08 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I think we have spoken before. It was a long time ago, but I believe we were somewhat related. I think one of your relatives was James Bruce, who is the brother of my great great grandfather, George.

I wonder if you might drop me a line again. I have lost much of the information I did have (crashed computer) and wonder if you might be able to help.

We did exchange some photos at one time (one of which I believe was James Bruce in a uniform of the Black Watch). Hope you remember.

Best regards

Jon

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 08 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you are still interested in finding out about the property you could try the sasines register held by the National Archives of Scotland http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/sasines.asp

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline jonalisonmiawillia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 08 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kirsty, will have a look.

Cheers

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:45 BST (UK) »
I am working on the old Temple graveyard and have around 97% of the names that are visible at the moment, I have take photos of all the headstones there, and I have one of George Bruce and Ann Scott, unfortunately it has been damaged because it is so thin, if you wish I can send the photo to you.

Templar75

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Fountainside Farm is very old, going back to the 1600's and perhaps earlier, it would have come under Clerkington at one time then it bacame part of the Parish of Temple.

The Farm gets its name from a Fountain that was on the Farm land at one time, the Fountain fed the water to the Roseberry Estate.

James Bruce would have been a Tenant Farmer.

George and Ann are both buried in Temple burial ground.

All that is on the stone is.

Ann Scott wife of George Bruce died at Fountainside 24th September 1931 aged 71 years.

From the record book I have George died 7th May 1935 aged 76 years.

There is no record for James Bruce at Temple.

Best.

Archie